Trying to use both SD slots on the UltraSatan.

Problems with your machine in general.
Cosmic Puppet

Trying to use both SD slots on the UltraSatan.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

I get 3 bombs (address error) if I try this.

Is there a way to occupy both slots and choose which card to boot to on startup?

This way I can have a separate gaming setup ready to roll without changing out the SD card.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Bikerbob

Re: Trying to use both SD slots on the UltraSatan.

Post by Bikerbob »

I am not sure about your address error, but I do know that slot 1 and slot 2 - only slot 1 is bootable.

Even if you empty slot 1 -- it will not boot from 2.

So it would be say 3 partitions on each.. C,D,E on 1 F,G,H on 2

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

BUT - what driver do you use. Not sure about HDDRIVER but on PPera driver you can sub out the boot drive.

SO.. you have your games card in slot 2.. you need to know what drive that starts at.. say F: when you boot with PPera driver .. you see the sub boot prompt.. and you press F. Bang.. you are booting from the F: drive as if it were C: - ALL other drive designations stay the same.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 am I get 3 bombs (address error) if I try this.

Is there a way to occupy both slots and choose which card to boot to on startup?

This way I can have a separate gaming setup ready to roll without changing out the SD card.
I just read your signature.. you say on one card you have 14 partitions.. depending on the driver that is the MAX partitions.. so an address error would be that you have too many partitions and it cannot read more.

James
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Thanks for your help.

If I can only boot from 1, then I'm better off just swapping cards like I do now.

Not really much point in me having 7 partitions on each card if I can only boot from one slot.

The idea was have one card for music and another for games set up differently.

I'm using PPera driver.

What does sub out the boot drive mean?
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
ari.tao

Post by ari.tao »

If You obey the limits given bei TOS, You should be able to use both slots in US same time.
Using a decent Driver, like HDDRIVER (very much appreciated, but commercial) or CBHD (imho the second best, but free), You can at boot start choose from the shown partitions from which to boot in the range of C - P. With HDDRIVER You can even swap the order of devices (afaik the only driver with this feature), see it´s menue item in HDDRUTIL for doing so.
Falcon, TT & some more
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

ari.tao wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:01 am If You obey the limits given bei TOS, You should be able to use both slots in US same time.
Using a decent Driver, like HDDRIVER (very much appreciated, but commercial) or CBHD (imho the second best, but free), You can at boot start choose from the shown partitions from which to boot in the range of C - P. With HDDRIVER You can even swap the order of devices (afaik the only driver with this feature), see it´s menue item in HDDRUTIL for doing so.
Hi. Does that mean a maximum of 14 partitions on the UltraSatan or per SD card?

I keep hearing good things about HDDRIVER. Does it allow you to format with PC swapable gemdos partitions like PP Driver?
derkom

Post by derkom »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am I keep hearing good things about HDDRIVER. Does it allow you to format with PC swapable gemdos partitions like PP Driver?
Yes. HDDRIVER is well worth the cost in my opinion.
ari.tao

Post by ari.tao »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am Hi. Does that mean a maximum of 14 partitions on the UltraSatan or per SD card?
Under plain TOS 14 parts. is maximum for your HD-devices alltogether, ie. if you have more parts. on them, only the first 14 will show up under TOS. (With MiNT or MAGX or ... you can extend this number - but I think this is beyond Your current needs).
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am I keep hearing good things about HDDRIVER. Does it allow you to format with PC swapable gemdos partitions like PP Driver?
Yes, but beware: I remember some rumour, that PP does it in another way, so you might need to re-partiton your SDs.
Falcon, TT & some more
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Thanks @derkom I will definitely get it at some point.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”