Atari STE - Issues with power connector (J302)

Problems with your machine in general.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atari STE - Issues with power connector (J302)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@HigashiJun Great, let us know what the outcome is.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Ok, so I've managed to take the eyelet off and as expected there's no spark any more bouncing on the PCB. :D

(Thanks to your great help !)

However, the machine still doesn't boot.

Just to be sure, is the +5V pin working the same way as the +12v one (ie. +5v fed on one side) ? If so, I will then have to get rid of the eyelet in the through hole...

Cheers.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

No, the 5v is fed from the track you can see coming from the main power connector on the top of the board so leave that alone. It sounds like there's something else going on.

I've annotated your diagram to show the position of the feeds from the main PSU connector.

Red is 5v, the leftmost two pins. The PCB track is on top of the board. If you remove this via and there is a another connection on the bottom, you'll have problems. Even if there is no connection on the bottom, these are soldered from the bottom so removing the via means you won't be able to solder anything in.

Yellow is ground, 3 pins on the PSU connector, (GND) and it is a large plane, also on the top of the board. If you remove these vias and there is a another connection on the bottom, you'll have problems. Even if there is no connection on the bottom, these are soldered from the bottom so removing the via means you won't be able to solder anything in.

Blue is 12v, the single pin on the right hand side. It starts of on the top of the board and the PCB track goes to point A. It then goes down to the bottom of the board through a via, and then underneath to point B, where the via you removed was. Since the via at point B is gone, but the PCB track is still on the bottom, that's ok, you can still solder to the track.

Don't remove any of the other vias or you'll compromise the power connection.

3.jpeg
3.jpeg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you for your confirmation rubber_jonnie, that's what I wanted to hear.

I will have to check further if time allows...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 am Thank you for your confirmation rubber_jonnie, that's what I wanted to hear.

I will have to check further if time allows...
You may want to go bck to my last post, as I've updated it slightly.
tzok

Post by tzok »

STe should boot just fine without 12V. STe floppies used in STes don't use it, and even if you'd cut it completely off from the PSU, just the composite video/TV out would be non-functional.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

tzok wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:33 am STe should boot just fine without 12V. STe floppies used in STes don't use it, and even if you'd cut it completely off from the PSU, just the composite video/TV out would be non-functional.
Quite right, there ins't much that needs 12v, and 12v is definitely not required to boot. When I was first getting my 520ST going and had no external PSU, I just hooked everything up to 5v and had no problems.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

tzok wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:33 am STe should boot just fine without 12V. STe floppies used in STes don't use it, and even if you'd cut it completely off from the PSU, just the composite video/TV out would be non-functional.
Part of the STe audio circuit uses 12V as well.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you all for this precious information !

I didn't know the +12v is used in the Atari STE. I thought it was just a remaining from old times for power hungry FDD drives.

I made some connection tests with my multimeter and everything seems alright, so there must be something else I missed somewhere.

Just my own opinion, but this power connector is quite "special". I have repaired many Orics, Amstrads and Amigas MB and I never had such weird issues...
tzok

Post by tzok »

Yet, computer should boot just fine, without it.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”