PSU related Blitter issues (Atari STE)

Problems with your machine in general.
sascha.springer

Re: PSU related Blitter issues (Atari STE)

Post by sascha.springer »

Thanks for your comments. I have changed the RAM modules but the glitches remained visible. The inserted modules have parity chips as well but I wanted to check out another fix before cutting traces. So actually I have replaced the CPU. The old type was an MC68000FN8 and the new one reads MC68HC000FN20.

I ran the demo for more than two hours and everything seems to be fine. I‘ll do another test tomorrow but I think and hope that this has fixed the issue. 8-)
Steve

Post by Steve »

sascha.springer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm Thanks for your comments. I have changed the RAM modules but the glitches remained visible. The inserted modules have parity chips as well but I wanted to check out another fix before cutting traces. So actually I have replaced the CPU. The old type was an MC68000FN8 and the new one reads MC68HC000FN20.

I ran the demo for more than two hours and everything seems to be fine. I‘ll do another test tomorrow but I think and hope that this has fixed the issue. 8-)
That is awesome news! Perhaps this new chip uses slightly less power or something.
sascha.springer

Steve wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pmThat is awesome news! Perhaps this new chip uses slightly less power or something.
Thanks.

I ran two more tests lately and everything works as expected. So finally I would say that the CPU change indeed fixed my issue. :D
sascha.springer

Here's a test version of the "Fast Bobs" demo for Blitter equipped Atari STs. Please let me know if there are issues on real hardware.
Attachments
st_bobs.zip
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

sascha.springer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm So actually I have replaced the CPU. The old type was an MC68000FN8 and the new one reads MC68HC000FN20.

Sounds like a bus loading issue again, did you try changing the pull ups ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
tzok

Post by tzok »

sascha.springer wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:12 am Here's a test version of the "Fast Bobs" demo for Blitter equipped Atari STs. Please let me know if there are issues on real hardware.
It runs fine on my BLiTTER enabled 1040STfm.
sascha.springer

exxos wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:48 amSounds like a bus loading issue again, did you try changing the pull ups ?
At first I wanted to fix the issue with "plug and play" solutions before heating up my solder iron. So actually I did not add the pull ups.
tzok wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:36 pm It runs fine on my BLiTTER enabled 1040STfm.
Great! Thanks for the report.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”