MegaSTE repair

Problems with your machine in general.
atari030

MegaSTE repair

Post by atari030 »

G'day all, I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference (if any) between C301705-001, C300584 and C301224 SCU chips is? I'm working on a MegaSTE, I have a few spares but just want to confirm what can and can't be subbed. Mine has C301705-001 but I have a C301224 in the spares box. It looks to be the same thing?

The machine I am working on has a socketed blitter, I'm trying to get my head around the Shifter/Blitter permutations. My other MegaSTE has no blitter but seems to be an earlier model (it came with TOS 2.05 originally). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the combos.

Initially this one had a solid white screen, I've reflowed a few crappy joints and I did find one O/C line at the ROMs which I corrected. Now its black screen but seems to switch white after a while, occasionally.... I plan to get a diag cart once post can be trusted, Melbourne is in lockdown again and I cant easily get to electronics stores, mail is pretty much at a stand still so online is pretty much pointless atm. So I figure its time to get stuck into the projects in the Atari pile but I have to make do with what I have.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MegaSTE repair

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Have a look here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

It's a list of Atari custom ICs and may point you in the right direction. I think all the chips you mentioned are GLUE.

BTW a diag cart and a null modem cable make an excellent investment!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
atari030

Post by atari030 »

That's where I got my info. I figured that was the case. Cheers. Once that post starts flowing, I'll grab one. I'm confident I can get this one up and running but with the number of chips on these things it makes a Falcon look like a picnic.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:48 pm That's where I got my info. I figured that was the case. Cheers. Once that post starts flowing, I'll grab one. I'm confident I can get this one up and running but with the number of chips on these things it makes a Falcon look like a picnic.
I think it's just a case of different part numbers equating to different suppliers, the only differences being where chips were combined into one and made surface mount.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

This is a must on the sockets

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1484

And look for corrosion around the vme bus and rom bad grounds

Tom
atari030

Post by atari030 »

That's perfect Frank, thanks. I usually resort to a pin behind the socket, they are a PITA when they go wrong. No fun to replace and there is definite corrosion on the board.
I plan on getting a de-solder pump/gun, I need to remove RAM from a MegaST as well, it needs doing. Any recommendations on what to get and what not to get? I am looking at one of these, I can buy locally.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Desoldering-R ... B07KRSVCMB
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DESOLDERING-ST ... 157&sr=8-3

It's the best tool I ever bought, though I quickly looked via the link you shared and they don't seem to have them. Closest I could see va your link was this: https://www.amazon.com.au/DOSS-Solderin ... ent&sr=1-3 The unit I have is effectively half one of these :)

The Duratool is sold as other brands so you might find it that way. I can't recommend it enough.
atari030

Post by atari030 »

Cheers RJ, I'll have a look for one. I used an STE to check my pile of ROM's and decided to install jumpers. The ole solder sucker suffered trying to clear some of the holes. Its time to move up.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:04 am Cheers RJ, I'll have a look for one. I used an STE to check my pile of ROM's and decided to install jumpers. The ole solder sucker suffered trying to clear some of the holes. Its time to move up.
Yep, I originally went for a desolder iron with integrated sucker, but it was just as bad to use as a normal sucker, and simply didn't get hot enough for anything with a large copper plane attached to it.

A proper temperature controlled, trigger operated gun is the way to go, you won't regret it.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”