MegaSTE Repair Continued - Video Noise

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MegaSTE Repair Continued - Video Noise

Post by exxos »

You can get noise on the black, my TV has it, but I've never seen noise like in the images posted before. I mean the blanking was there to turn off the electron beam originally while the gun moved to the top of the next frame, but that's a dead art these days with LCD screens. They don't really need blanking in that respect. But blanking is more borders now and wouldn't really be a issue in the main video.. As on my TV there is noise on the black, but its a cheap TV.. Its not really visible unless you really look for it.

But again the noise in the posted images looks to be a lot more than just normal background noise. Its unlikely to be picking up interference if your using shielded cables and a good PSU . it could be ground loop noise for example ... The problem with TVs can be they can be floating above ground by 100s of volts.. You then have a scan converter which I doubt is earthed, so you have a second floating ground ... The 3rd comes from the ST itself which is normally grounded.. So start to end, without some serious thick shielded cable with a good 0V core, you will get issues. The exact same issue happens with audio equipment.

Not saying this is your issue, but if you can run your rgb converter from battery, and even disconnect the GND pin on the ST power cord, it would help prove ( or not) if your dealing with a earthing problem or not. Its the only other reason I can think of which can cause bad noise like that, assuming its not just simple interference .
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

That noise looks like an car ignition noise. Spark plug

Tom
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Tomswork wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:49 am That noise looks like an car ignition noise. Spark plug
I agree with that !
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
displaced

Post by displaced »

I've had a voice at the back of my mind whispering 'grounding'...

I'll disconnect the earth temporarily on the PSU when I get a chance tomorrow!

I found that I could mostly hide the problem by reducing the OSSC's Pre-ADC Gain from 8 to 0, but then the overall picture was unnaturally dim.

I used a .PRG version of 50_60HZ and found a game (Xenon 2) that didn't insist on resetting to 50Hz. Noise is the same, and possibly worse due to the addition of some vertical waves.

Actually, just realised: the OSSC runs on 5V, so I should be able to run it from a USB battery pack. I've got one somewhere but it's a bit late to start making a racket trying to find the thing, so I'll give that a go tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you're on to something here!
A bunch of Ataris and others:
Atari XEGS with RGB mod - STFM - Portfolio - Lynx Mk1 with McWill display - Mega STE - Falcon030 - Jaguar
Commodore VIC-20 CR with ClearVideo - CDTV (Wicher 8MB+IDE)
Acorn Electron - Archimedes A3020
displaced

Post by displaced »

Well, poo.

Running the OSSC via battery doesn’t help. Had a good feelinng on that one, too.
6DE75F6C-AAAF-4AEA-B155-F89967C4D3A5.jpeg
6DE75F6C-AAAF-4AEA-B155-F89967C4D3A5.jpeg (203.3 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Atari XEGS with RGB mod - STFM - Portfolio - Lynx Mk1 with McWill display - Mega STE - Falcon030 - Jaguar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looks like it made the noise worse ?
displaced

Post by displaced »

That’s about right for Xenon 2 - the regularity and strength of the pattern varies. I’ll fire up I, Ball later for a direct comparison to before.

Very odd!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

OK, one thing that might be of consideration here.

Have you got any long mains cables, gang sockets etc in play here?

Or even any other nearby devices that may have long power leads?

I've seen interference caused by these items before, so is it possible to relocate your machine to an area that is more 'electrically quiet' to see if it makes a difference?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

One more thing, I just tried Xenon 2 on my MSTE and the one thing that strikes me compared to yours, is that your screen is way brighter at the title screen, and the colours seem to be almost glowing, like it's too bright.

I'm assuming (I'm on my mobile so going back is difficult), that you've tried adjusting the contrast and brightness to see what difference it makes?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I must admit that the picture does show it blooming out the highlights. Reducing the brightness and increasing the contrast would give a better picture.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”