F030 damaged on board floppy connector.

Problems with your machine in general.
mrbombermillzy

F030 damaged on board floppy connector.

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Of all the machines that pass through my hands, the Falcon is the one that more often than not looks like someones opened it up, thrown a good measure of wires, caps and resistors and then scribbled on the mainboard with a heated soldering iron. :/

Anyway...

My current F030 has (amongst other things) a broken Floppy cable connector on the mainboard end.

Its the top plastic brace across the ribbon which, not being there exposes the cutting contact teeth.

The ribbon was brittle/not making contact anyway, but I have plenty of that spare. However, I am having a problem figuring out how to crimp/press the new ribbon cable to the tired looking teeth of the mainboard.

Has anyone had this issue and found a practical solution?

(I would have prefered pins on the mainboard but thats not even remotely possible, is it?)

I can take a picture if you need, but Im guessing its quite self explanatory.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: F030 damaged on board floppy connector.

Post by exxos »

I guess easier when off the board as you can squash it in a vice.. but on the board.. yikes.. very firm chunk of wood under the MB for support, and a heavy hand.. but slip and cause more damage... not easy I think either way.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

exxos wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 pm I guess easier when off the board as you can squash it in a vice.. but on the board.. yikes.. very firm chunk of wood under the MB for support, and a heavy hand.. but slip and cause more damage... not easy I think either way.
Yeah right.

Of all the things to have wrong eh?

Mind you, this one was a 'cheapie' from that reclusive guy I was telling you about a while ago who is sat on about 6 more F030s, like a dragon guarding its gold.

Its already been 'through the grinder':

1. Badly removed 'something' (who knows?) which took the interrupt line from the DSP(!) for its own uses and because of which the poor DSP IC had that pin snapped off at the base of the package, hence replaced.

2. A poorly fitted Blowup 030 board was taken out too and all the broken lines/added resistors/caps restored or removed.

3. After all that was done, I booted a few times, then the PSU decides to pack in too.

I think I may well chuck this at @Steve at some point in the future (if he is willing to catch, of course!) and get him to give it a once over.
mfro

Post by mfro »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:19 pm My current F030 has (amongst other things) a broken Floppy cable connector on the mainboard end.
I think there were lots of stupid Falcon owners mistaking this as a pluggable connection.

I never looked into it in detail (because I recognised in time it isn't pluggable) - maybe it can be made one?
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Myself, I'd the system a favour, desolder the current connector and cable and fit a normal socket and then add a ribbon cable with IDC connectors at both ends. Far better in the long term.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

@mrbombermillzy you can replace with a proper connector if you want
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:19 pm Of all the machines that pass through my hands, the Falcon is the one that more often than not looks like someones opened it up, thrown a good measure of wires, caps and resistors and then scribbled on the mainboard with a heated soldering iron. :/

Anyway...

My current F030 has (amongst other things) a broken Floppy cable connector on the mainboard end.

Its the top plastic brace across the ribbon which, not being there exposes the cutting contact teeth.

The ribbon was brittle/not making contact anyway, but I have plenty of that spare. However, I am having a problem figuring out how to crimp/press the new ribbon cable to the tired looking teeth of the mainboard.

Has anyone had this issue and found a practical solution?

(I would have prefered pins on the mainboard but thats not even remotely possible, is it?)

I can take a picture if you need, but Im guessing its quite self explanatory.

I had to buy this tool and a connector as mine was fluffied at the drive end on my ST.

IMG_20190727_145536_117.jpg
IMG_20190727_145536_117.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
IMG_20190722_184043_933.jpg
IMG_20190722_184043_933.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
IMG_20190722_183920_678.jpg
IMG_20190722_183920_678.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@Cosmic Puppet : that would be an easy enough solution, if it wasnt at the wrong end! :lol:

All: Yes I think the best solution will be to desolder/replace with pins for futureproofing.

@Steve : If youre up for it, would you be able to change it over?
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 pm @Cosmic Puppet : that would be an easy enough solution, if it wasnt at the wrong end! :lol:

All: Yes I think the best solution will be to desolder/replace with pins for futureproofing.

@Steve : If youre up for it, would you be able to change it over?
Ah, so it's not in a socket. Yeah, that is annoying.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah I'll PM you :)

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”