Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Problems with your machine in general.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cosmic Puppet
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am
Location: West Yorkshire
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbuSMn ... MoHknHryLg
Contact:

Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by Cosmic Puppet » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 pm

No drive light on floppy. I thought if it's 5V I don't need external power?

Previously the drive worked fine and read 1.44MB Floppies using some cheap little board from china plugged into a USB header on the motherboard.

I could have fried it as I had the floppy power plugged in as well as the USB B. Tried without and still nothing.

PC no longer sees the Floppy Drive on boot.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) 4MB Marpet Upgrade, TOS 1.04, EmuTOS 1.0, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor.

troed
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by troed » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 pm

Cosmic Puppet wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 pm
I could have fried it as I had the floppy power plugged in as well as the USB B. Tried without and still nothing.
Which Greaseweazle model?

User avatar
Cosmic Puppet
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am
Location: West Yorkshire
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbuSMn ... MoHknHryLg
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by Cosmic Puppet » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 pm

troed wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 pm
Cosmic Puppet wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 pm
I could have fried it as I had the floppy power plugged in as well as the USB B. Tried without and still nothing.
Which Greaseweazle model?
It's the F7 Plus.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) 4MB Marpet Upgrade, TOS 1.04, EmuTOS 1.0, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor.

User avatar
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 am

What software says when you try read image from floppy?
Btw
Facebook group is great, thet would be the place to ask questions about it.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:17 am

For reference the hardware guide is here: https://github.com/aerobaticant/Greasew ... -Plus/wiki

For 5v only drives, the GW F7 Plus can supply that to the floppy drive from the on board header, but if the drive needs 12v as well you need a separate PSU for the FDD.

If you have separate FDD power plugged into the drive, that is fine, as the USB only provides the 5v power to the GW header and not over the 34 pin cable, which is just FDD signals and data.

Since the F7 Plus only provides 5v, that it is unlikely to have killed your floppy unless incorrectly connected, and I doubt it would have fried the FDD with any signals across the data cable. Since they are both keyed I'd say that's unlikely.

Are you saying the FDD no longer works on a PC even when simply connected to a FDD header and no GW involved?

Can you show us pictures of how you initially connected it? Did you buy the GW ready made or assemble it yourself?
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

User avatar
Cosmic Puppet
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am
Location: West Yorkshire
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbuSMn ... MoHknHryLg
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by Cosmic Puppet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Thanks guys. Before I continue, does the triangle marked on the floppy disk drive indicate PIN 1 or PIN 34?
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) 4MB Marpet Upgrade, TOS 1.04, EmuTOS 1.0, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor.

User avatar
Cosmic Puppet
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am
Location: West Yorkshire
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbuSMn ... MoHknHryLg
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by Cosmic Puppet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:41 pm

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 am
What software says when you try read image from floppy?
Btw
Facebook group is great, thet would be the place to ask questions about it.
Haven't got that far. No floppy drive light and drive no longer detected. I left Facebook 2 years ago. It's not good for my mental health, which is already bad.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) 4MB Marpet Upgrade, TOS 1.04, EmuTOS 1.0, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor.

User avatar
Cosmic Puppet
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am
Location: West Yorkshire
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbuSMn ... MoHknHryLg
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by Cosmic Puppet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:46 pm

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:17 am
For reference the hardware guide is here: https://github.com/aerobaticant/Greasew ... -Plus/wiki

For 5v only drives, the GW F7 Plus can supply that to the floppy drive from the on board header, but if the drive needs 12v as well you need a separate PSU for the FDD.

If you have separate FDD power plugged into the drive, that is fine, as the USB only provides the 5v power to the GW header and not over the 34 pin cable, which is just FDD signals and data.

Since the F7 Plus only provides 5v, that it is unlikely to have killed your floppy unless incorrectly connected, and I doubt it would have fried the FDD with any signals across the data cable. Since they are both keyed I'd say that's unlikely.

Are you saying the FDD no longer works on a PC even when simply connected to a FDD header and no GW involved?

Can you show us pictures of how you initially connected it? Did you buy the GW ready made or assemble it yourself?
Thanks for that page. I had it and lost it.

Okay, that's what I thought about power until I had no life signs from drive.

Yeah, the drive acts like it's not connected. It worked without the GW previously.

20210406_175822.jpg
20210406_175822.jpg (255.08 KiB) Viewed 138 times
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) 4MB Marpet Upgrade, TOS 1.04, EmuTOS 1.0, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor.

cmorley
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by cmorley » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm

Cosmic Puppet wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm
Thanks guys. Before I continue, does the triangle marked on the floppy disk drive indicate PIN 1 or PIN 34?
I have only ever seen pin 1 marked. Often by a dot on a PCB or square pad and a triangle on the IDC connector plastic which lines up with the red or stripped pin 1 IDC wire. Sometimes you get a notch in the PCB indicating the IDC connector "bump side down".

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Got a Greaseweasle and now I'm clueless.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:48 pm

Cosmic Puppet wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm
Thanks guys. Before I continue, does the triangle marked on the floppy disk drive indicate PIN 1 or PIN 34?
Pin 1. I've seen the triangle a few times.

Any socket or plug mark means pin 1. If in doubt the red wire is pin 1.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Post Reply

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”