Mouse only registers up and left

Problems with your machine in general.
curlypaul

Mouse only registers up and left

Post by curlypaul »

Hello, sorry to drop with a help request as my first post, but I'm an the end of my knowledge with this.

I've got a standard official mouse a problem, left and right both produce a left movement, and up and down only produces an up movement.

I've reflowed the port, and checked that I have continuity on each pin, went from the next nearest points on the pcb to be sure.

I'm new to the ST, so I dont have much in the way of alternative parts, but I do have a beaten up joystick that I was able to see down and right movement from when in the mouse port.

Replaced both the caps in the mouse, and gave it an ipa bath, as well as scrubbed the rollers and blown all the dust out of the optic wheels. It's barely been used in its life, so didnt seem worth risking breaking the ball housing trying to remove the wheels as it was pretty clean to start with.

I've got a multimeter, a basic knowledge, and a will to learn :) would anybody be able to help with where to look next please?
PhilC

Re: Mouse only registers up and left

Post by PhilC »

It may be that the optical sensors are slightly out of line, so try adjusting them, ie bending a little one way or the other.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bad mouse cable ? Pretty common fault..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

Here is a page that might help you.

Mouse pinouts
Mouse pinouts
mousepinouts1.jpg (78.23 KiB) Viewed 2567 times

One of your Xs and Ys is not working. You can test if voltage is arriving from the mouse port to the connector in the mouse. SL1 to SL3 are three different connection variations that you might have. The cable is also sometimes soldered in without a connector. Ignore what it says about Laser and Bluetooth on the document, it is irrelevant.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Have you checked the cable continuity? The cables do often fail because the wires work harden and break due to the mouse movement. This can also cause intermittent operation but as you have a multimeter you can easily test with that in continuity mode. When testing you should wiggle the cable to try and force the fault.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

Oh wow, loads of suggestions!

Yes, I do seem to have continuity, and I sensors seem well seated although there is a small amount of vertical movement in each wheel, maybe 0.2mm, which I'll fiddle with shortly to see if it's pushing it out of alignment, and that diagram is super useful, if wiggling the wheels doesn't help I'll check the voltages on the pins.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

curlypaul wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am Oh wow, loads of suggestions!
That's what we're here for :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

Hmmm, got +5v on all the pins, now I know which is which I've also traced them back and checked the joints further along and given the cables and optics a good wiggle. No dice.

I think I need to dismantle the keyboard again and take a look at that chip next to the ports.

What's the chip on the mouse board? A hex converter? Any way that I can check that's working?
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

if you had, or could obtain, a known working 2nd mouse, it would go a long
ways towards ruling things out... Just sayin'... :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

Darklord wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 pm if you had, or could obtain, a known working 2nd mouse, it would go a long
ways towards ruling things out... Just sayin'... :)
Ye, I could do with a a supply of parts and accessories, bit spent out atm with the STE itself and a pile of floppy drives. End of month I'll get a cap kit and probably another mouse if I've not figured it out by then.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”