Chinon D357 failures/repairs

Problems with your machine in general.
pixelpusher

Chinon D357 failures/repairs

Post by pixelpusher »

Hi all,

after successful repair of an Epson SMD 480 drive (thx to Dog's great tutorial here in the forum!) I had a look at my failing Atari/Chinon D357 drive (it's the drive, not the floppy controler - exchanging the D357 with any generic drive works, if you ignore the non-fitting face plate).

When googling I found some (external) forum posts that describe issues with this drive on Amiga's or MSX machines (and often the track 0 error that seems to plag my drive too), but no diagnosis or successful repair.

Does anyone here have experience with this drive and some repair tips?
stephen_usher

Re: Chinon D357 failures/repairs

Post by stephen_usher »

All my Chinon drives have failed with one fault, the glue holding the upper read head goes crispy and the head falls off the arm, either fully or partially, and that’s the end of the drive as you can’t re-fit it accurately enough.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
pixelpusher

Re: Chinon D357 failures/repairs

Post by pixelpusher »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:55 am All my Chinon drives have failed with one fault, the glue holding the upper read head goes crispy and the head falls off the arm, either fully or partially, and that’s the end of the drive as you can’t re-fit it accurately enough.
Head is still attached, but I can't rule out that it moved - and it would explain why single sided (format) operation doesn't work either...

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”