Killing CPUs

Problems with your machine in general.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Killing CPUs

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:31 pm I'm not sure I follow how you got for a bad mouse cable to blowing up CPUs ?
The mouse is wireless :)

He's saying its the power profile of the cable and the voltage drop across it that was the problem from what I can see.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

I thought Exxos was joking :lol:
Mouse was on the picture to give a scale comparison with the cable.
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

olivier.jan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:01 pm I thought Exxos was joking :lol:
honestly I am not following at all.. How does a wireless mouse kill CPUs ? mouse has to go through the keyboard controller chip, then the ACIAs before getting to the CPU...

Power wise, if that thin cable was shorting out the power, a couple of amps would probably melt it and set it on fire.. Worst-case power supply fuse blows, again how does this kill a CPU ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 pm
olivier.jan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:01 pm I thought Exxos was joking :lol:
honestly I am not following at all.. How does a wireless mouse kill CPUs ? mouse has to go through the keyboard controller chip, then the ACIAs before getting to the CPU...

Power wise, if that thin cable was shorting out the power, a couple of amps would probably melt it and set it on fire.. Worst-case power supply fuse blows, again how does this kill a CPU ?
The mouse was innocent!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

Forget this poor mouse.
The cable on the picture was the cable between the bench PSU and the Atari power connector but the cable was too thin, so 5.13V at the PSU was actually 4.6V on the Atari. Using a bigger cable fixed the issue by reducing the voltage drop to something minimal.
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

olivier.jan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 pm Forget this poor mouse.
The cable on the picture was the cable between the bench PSU and the Atari power connector but the cable was too thin, so 5.13V at the PSU was actually 4.6V on the Atari. Using a bigger cable fixed the issue by reducing the voltage drop to something minimal.
ahhhh.. Yep that cable sux :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

olivier.jan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 pm Forget this poor mouse.
Don't know why you had the issue. I use a similar inadaquite on my H4's and H5's. You adjust the voltage at the power connector on the board for 5.00 volts. The resistance of the cable is pretty much consistent so it will vary around 5.00 volts due changes in current demand but its minimal. The worst variation I saw on mine was 7 mv which is well within the 5v tolorence. As I recall I had a 17 mv drop in the cable under normal operation. I don't understand how you burned cpu's? :fire:

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”