Eiffel 3 on a 520ST?

Problems with your machine in general.
TheNameOfTheGame

Eiffel 3 on a 520ST?

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

I bought a Eiffel 3 to use on my system and discovered it wasn't set up to work on my old 520ST. I wondered if I could wire the connector in some way to get it to work. Well, one way to find out is to hook the Eiffel up and see what happens. This is the Eiffel 3 I am using. It has 8 position connector with pin 2 not connected.

From looking at the STE schematic these are the pinouts.

1 - GND
2- NC
3 - Floppy Light
4 - +5V
5 - Rx Data
6 - Tx Data
7 - Reset
8 - GND

keyboard_eiffel3.jpg
keyboard_eiffel3.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

My 520ST has a 18 position connector since the mouse and joystick ports are on the mainboard. Here is the difference in the connectors.

keyboard connectors.jpg
keyboard connectors.jpg (92.32 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

I found the pinouts for the 18 position connector in the 520ST schematic.

keyboard_pinouts.jpg
keyboard_pinouts.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Since my 520ST has an 18 position connector I need to make a new one. I found some pieces to use.

keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector_pieces.jpg
keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector_pieces.jpg (101.91 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

After gluing them together I had a connector to work with.

keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector_glued.jpg
keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector_glued.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Gently removing the wires from the Eiffel's original connector was no problem. With the wires moved over to their corresponding positions on the 18 position connector, I have something that I hope will work with my mainboard. I didn't move over pin 3 (floppy light) and pin 8 (additional GND) since I didn't see anywhere to connect them to.

keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector.jpg
keyboard_eiffel3_new_connector.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

So hooking up the whole thing to my mainboard I was ready to test it.

keyboard_eiffel3_connectedb.jpg
keyboard_eiffel3_connectedb.jpg (94.99 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

After the desktop booted up, I tried to use the mouse, but unfortunately it didn't move the cursor. It appears something is not working right.

So this initial attempt wasn't successful. Any ideas why this didn't work?
PaulJ

Re: Eiffel 3 on a 520ST?

Post by PaulJ »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am I bought a Eiffel 3 to use on my system and discovered it wasn't set up to work on my old 520ST. I wondered if I could wire the connector in some way to get it to work. Well, one way to find out is to hook the Eiffel up and see what happens. This is the Eiffel 3 I am using. It has 8 position connector with pin 2 not connected.

From looking at the STE schematic these are the pinouts.

1 - GND
2- NC
3 - Floppy Light
4 - +5V
5 - Rx Data
6 - Tx Data
7 - Reset
8 - GND
Heres schematic of the Eiffel. You use P10 pins on the Eiffel board to go to the connector on the ST
1_Eiffel.jpg
1_Eiffel.jpg (248.6 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Not exactly the same Eiffel but it should give you an idea. Mine works fine on the h4/h5 which has the same keyboard pinout as a ST.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Oops didn't look close enough.. you have the old keyboard plugging connector. I fixed the one I had by using it as a doner machine. The ps2 mouse is p4 on the schematic.
TheNameOfTheGame

Yes, P10 on your schematic matches how I thought it was. Wonder why it isn't working then.

*edit* The ALT-Arrow method of moving the cursor with the keyboard works! So the keyboard is functional. But the 9pin mouse is still not working.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:01 pm Yes, P10 on your schematic matches how I thought it was. Wonder why it isn't working then.

*edit* The ALT-Arrow method of moving the cursor with the keyboard works! So the keyboard is functional. But the 9pin mouse is still not working.
I use a ps2 mouse with mine, the 9 pin connectors are for the joysticks I believe. I don’t know if the eiffel3 has a ps2 connector but if it does give it a try.
TheNameOfTheGame

Ah, thanks, man, that worked. I hooked up a ps2 mouse (can't believe I found one) and it works! So I guess 9pin mice aren't supported with this Eiffel which is fine. :D
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:57 pm Ah, thanks, man, that worked. I hooked up a ps2 mouse (can't believe I found one) and it works! So I guess 9pin mice aren't supported with this Eiffel which is fine. :D
If you cant find a PS2 mouse or keyboard you can convert a USB mouse / keyboard with those USB to PS/2 adaptors. I did that originally then actually modified the Eiffel 3 - https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =18&t=1729
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ya, I think he separated the joystick ports and the mouse. He sells the Eiffel as ps2 mouse and keyboard. I don't have a joystick but I be it works on the 9 pin ports.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”