Testing the serial port between two STs

Problems with your machine in general.
Pacman

Re: Testing the serial port between two STs

Post by Pacman »

It just occured to me that I used to have an RSVE board (high speed modem-port modification) installed in the STe, but decided to tidy up all the messy modifications and put in proper connectors etc. but never got round to it.
I've found the RSVE board with its cut off wires, but I'm not sure where they go but wouldn't be surprised if I've had to sever an existing connection or two in order to insert the board, thus causing the serial port to malfunction.... Does anyone have more details on the RSVE? I can't seem to find any English docs.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
Pacman

Re: Testing the serial port between two STs

Post by Pacman »

It works!
Yup, removing the RSVE board definitely caused a problem (breaking the 68901 MFP connection between pins 7/10 and 16). Putting it back in solved the problem and the Exxos cable worked right away.
Using either the VT52 terminal accessory or ConNect I could type something on one computer and have it display on the other (and vice versa).
The diagnostic cartridge also worked via the cable. What surprised me was that I could even use the keyboard on the other computer (STe) to select tests etc. Very useful indeed if the computer with the cartridge has a non-working/missing keyboard.

This was all when using the "Modem 1" port of the MSTE. There might be something going on with the two other serial ports as I haven't got them working yet. ConNect has a "port" menu where you can select the port and speed etc. but I still only got "Modem 1" to work. With low speeds (up to 19200 baud?) it should all work out of the box, without any additional software (HSMODEM etc.), right?
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”