ST Rev B troubleshoot no video output

Problems with your machine in general.
Steve

ST Rev B troubleshoot no video output

Post by Steve »

Hi guys,

I'd like some assistance in diagnosing this STM I got recently. It arrived faulty and I did all the basics, clean and re-seat chips and such.

Symptoms are:
When turned on, VGA monitor 'comes alive' as though it detects sync, but no display output. An interesting thing I noticed: On my ST>VGA adapter it has a little orange LED which is *always* lit, even if the machine is turned off. But - on this model it is not lit at all. I'm not sure what voltage this little LED is powered by, but this symptom could be an explanation for the lack of output?

What I have inspected:
* 68000 - HALT is TTL HIGH
* 68000 - BERR is HIGH
* 68000 - CLK is 8Mhz
* no hot chips (to touch) just warm
* Swapped Shifter for a known-good one

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STM Rev B troubleshoot no video output

Post by exxos »

Have you tried RF ? VGA adapter may need 12V ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

A) Do you have diag cartridge and something to monitor the serial port output?
B) Do you have an oscilloscope so that you can watch the address and data bus (and possibly ROM select line from the MMU) when you switch on?

Without those items you might as well read tea leaves.

A mostly dead machine like that could be almost anything which will stop the CPU reading the ROM and initialising the shifter. MMU, RAM with stuck high output, bad ROM, bad traces, anything!
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Steve just a hunch, what does it do when you select mono mode?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Steve

Re: ST Rev B troubleshoot no video output

Post by Steve »

exxos wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 pm Have you tried RF ? VGA adapter may need 12V ?
Doesn't have a modulator, but the VGA adapter works on my other ST so it should be fine.
Steve

Post by Steve »

PhilC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:26 pm @Steve just a hunch, what does it do when you select mono mode?
No difference in mono mode - I might swap the TOS roms with known working ones next.
Steve

Post by Steve »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 pm A) Do you have diag cartridge and something to monitor the serial port output?
B) Do you have an oscilloscope so that you can watch the address and data bus (and possibly ROM select line from the MMU) when you switch on?

Without those items you might as well read tea leaves.

A mostly dead machine like that could be almost anything which will stop the CPU reading the ROM and initialising the shifter. MMU, RAM with stuck high output, bad ROM, bad traces, anything!
a) Yes I do I'll definitely use it for this
B) Yes I've got all the tools these days, but it'll be the first time I use them for proper diagnosis so please don't assume I know how to do certain things yet =)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:52 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:26 pm @Steve just a hunch, what does it do when you select mono mode?
No difference in mono mode - I might swap the TOS roms with known working ones next.
I had a theory you might have had the same issue as me. Have a look at the diodes and transistors around the shifter with your scope, half of the diodes were failing.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thx @PhilC I'll check! So basically just make sure the voltage across the base/collectors/emitters is similar across the board?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Steve I can't remember exactly now but remember transistors are used as amplifiers as well as switches. On my board I had a black screen but vga sync.

Because halt is high it sounds like something is going on.so the diag cart will prove that.

Check the rgb circuit, the diodes and pullups etc.

Reason I asked about mono mode is that my vga adaptor does not work correctly as there is no 12v on the monitor port and to get it to go to low resolution I had to break a connection on the port but can't remember which one yet.

Also if your board has a -20 mmu or glue they aren't directly compatible with one from an STFM or at least mine wasn't.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”