Falcon 030 Diagnostic Version Error

Problems with your machine in general.
paj777

Falcon 030 Diagnostic Version Error

Post by paj777 »

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm attempting to debug a Falcon using the exxo Diagnostic cart and keep hitting the error below. Has anyone come across this before? What are the steps to resolve?

IMG_7973.jpg
IMG_7973.jpg (113.92 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Note that there is an empty socket for the RTC at the moment - not sure if this could be the cause?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Falcon 030 Diagnostic Version Error

Post by exxos »

I've never heard of that error. Does the falcon service manual mention that ? Might be worth fitting the rtc to see if it solves it.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maybe upgrade the TOS to 4.04 also...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Steve wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:05 pm Maybe upgrade the TOS to 4.04 also...
Good spot. I've never tried anything but 404.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
centuriontech

Post by centuriontech »

I think it has something to do with NVRAM date set.
mikro

Post by mikro »

Yeah, it's NVRAM related. Easy fix: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p414694
paj777

Post by paj777 »

mikro wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:11 pm Yeah, it's NVRAM related. Easy fix: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p414694
I tried this just now - pressing 'u' on either keyboard just seems to cycle the same messages. I even tried holding down 'u' while booting but again this just repeated the same error a few times - still no main menu.

So it looks like I'll be putting in another webstore order :D

I've got two RTCs - an old Motorola which by the look of it is the original one that was removed, and a Dallas 1287 which I assume was supposed to replace it. I'm sure if either are working, so I'll try replacing with a new unit (it is socketed, helpfully). Anyway, I have mixed results when I put in the RTC: either no post / output at all, or the same versioning error.

I did check the Service manual and there is no mention of this error that I can see. I think the TOS upgrade sounds reasonable and probably needs doing anyway, so I'll order one of these too.

I'm not sure what to do about the RTC - is there a cheap Dallas unit I can try and should the model be 12887 rather than 1287? Or are they all the same?
mikro

Post by mikro »

Ok, I've given it a closer look. Pressing 'u' after showing that message should be more than enough. After that the new value is written into NVRAM and you should be fine by next power cycle, if not directly after menu refresh.

Not sure what you mean by "cycle the same messages" -- it should take 'u' from keyboard (just after the message is shown, there's a keyboard input waiting), write the value into NVRAM and show the main menu again.

What is however scarier is the the error message about RTC -- that indiciates that your NVRAM clock is not working / not read properly so you may have some soldering issues there.

Forget about 4.04, that certainly wont fix it (but it's nice to have anyway of course).

EDIT: Ah, now I see you that you have actually the RTC socket empty... no mystery there, then...
paj777

Post by paj777 »

Not sure what you mean by "cycle the same messages" -- it should take 'u' from keyboard (just after the message is shown, there's a keyboard input waiting), write the value into NVRAM and show the main menu again.
I just meant that, after I press 'u', I get the whole string of text from "Falcon 030 Production diagnostic" through to "Diagnostic Version Error" repeating to the terminal as shown in the first pic. I'll try to upload a video later which might make it clearer.

But does your solution rely I me having a RTC in the socket in order for it to work?

There is some strange-looking soldering / wiring going on which I assume is a version of the clock buffer patch. And I guess the same person installed the RTC socket. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the root of the problems here, but clearly further investigation is required.
mikro

Post by mikro »

paj777 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:12 pmBut does your solution rely I me having a RTC in the socket in order for it to work?
Yes. It's a test which tests NVRAM (same as the RTC test before the version error). You can't proceed without proper NVRAM.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”