Falcon dead :-(

Problems with your machine in general.
Badwolf

Re: Falcon dead :-(

Post by Badwolf »

I don't really see how shorting 12V to GND at the power input end could blow up the Falcon.

Like Exxos says, if you've connected 12V to the 5V rail though, that would indeed be bad. Can you recall which pins were the ones you shorted?

12V rail drives the fan so there's something there: but it's not needed for booting anyway.

The 5V rail obviously has *something* on it, as you're getting a screen at all.

Like Mikro says, the screen looks messed up, but it's working, so Videl is at least (partially) functional. To be honest it looks close to an uninitalised memory problem -- similar to what you get without any ROM in place. I'd be thinking memory and ROM firstly, therefore.

* Do you have a memory board installed? One is always required.

* Do you have a Falcon diagnositc cart?

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
mcknopf

Post by mcknopf »

If I would exactly remember what I shorted I would tell. I think it was 12V to ground. I tried 4 MB Memory and 14 MB memory card as the 14 MB I bought after the accident (I wanted itw anyway, so I thought it is worth a try) so it should work. I don't have a diagnostic cardridge.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

mcknopf wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:34 pm If I would exactly remember what I shorted I would tell. I think it was 12V to ground. I tried 4 MB Memory and 14 MB memory card as the 14 MB I bought after the accident (I wanted itw anyway, so I thought it is worth a try) so it should work. I don't have a diagnostic cardridge.
Seems a reasonable next step:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0165

It only relies on the few few bytes of ROM, accessed at 8MHz mode then spits out text on both the screen and the serial port.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
mcknopf

Post by mcknopf »

Hello,
after some weeks because of German "Zoll" I have now a diagnostic cartdridge. When I use it at my ST it works find but at my Falcon the same picture as before, no menu. I connected it via serial cable to my ST and used the program "Connect". It shows sometimes three lines (like a = but with three lines) and sometimes a "°" (degree) sign but no message.

In setup I set port=serial
Echo off
Rts/Cts
9600 baud
no parity
8 data bits
1 stopbit

Emulation:
Vt100
Vt100id

Conversions
LF <- LF (input)
CR -> CR (Output)
BS -> BS, DEL -> DEL (Output)

Is that right?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

If you have one of the cartridges from the store , did you alter the jumpers for Falcon mode?

As to what to expect from the diagnostic cartridge see this topic.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =91&t=3143
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mcknopf

Post by mcknopf »

Yes I Jumpered it to Falcon.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”