SC1435 monitor packed up

Problems with your machine in general.
mgi

SC1435 monitor packed up

Post by mgi »

Hi,

My old SC1435 stopped working suddenly in a middle of the game and started generating high pitched noise.
Is there anyone who could help with diagnostics and repair ideally south England?

Regards
Michal
mrbombermillzy

Re: SC1435 monitor packed up

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Sorry to hear that. Its never a great day when the old CRT monitor packs in. :(

Where abouts in the south are you?
mgi

Post by mgi »

Crawley near Gatwick
Steve

Post by Steve »

Luckily with CRT monitors they're not requiring specific Atari knowledge etc so you should be able to give it to any local electronics repair shop, you know, the old school kind that do TVs and stuff. Just Google local electronics repair and I bet you'll find one.
mgi

Post by mgi »

That’s the option but I would like to check first on this forum if there is anyone possible doing such things or maybe any recommended place I could use?
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Steve wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 am Luckily with CRT monitors they're not requiring specific Atari knowledge etc so you should be able to give it to any local electronics repair shop, you know, the old school kind that do TVs and stuff. Just Google local electronics repair and I bet you'll find one.
I'd love to know of any. These seem to have been a dying breed at least 10 years ago. Now, they are nearly non existent, well, at least 'down here'! :)

@mgi Ive managed to source a few (i.e. two) possible candidates who will look at monitors.

There is a company in Eastleigh (Southampton way) and a friend of a friend who is based in Fordingbridge (sort of Salisbury way). Neither is particularly close to you, but unless you can find any closer (please let me know of any others if you do, I can add it to my CRT repair database topic), I can dig out their contact details for you.

P.S. Did you find the other PM info useful at all?
mgi

Post by mgi »

Hi,

Could you please send me contact details to both of those places? If they let us in at Salisbury Plain shooting range soon it would work but I can also give it a go and drop it at Eastleigh which is much closer.

The information helped - let me send you the result on PM :)

Thanks
Michal
mgi

Post by mgi »

Hi,

After Xmas I had a chance to look into my broken sc1435. Since I could not find anyone who is willing to work on old CRT I did some digging and the most likely culprit for no picture and whining noise was flyback transformer. I replaced it yesterday and the noise is gone, screen is coming up but after few seconds it starts blinking and making unhappy noises: https://youtu.be/tc2Y4TXTZyY

Any ideas where to start? Fixing CRT is really not my thing but I learnt how to discharge them :)

Cheers
Michal
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

You would have to power it up without the case on and see if something is arcing on the PCB. Also check solder joints around any parts which are physically large or can get hot.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mgi

Post by mgi »

Thanks! Will do so!

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”