NetUSBee Lite problems on TT: Any thoughts?

Problems with your machine in general.
stephen_usher

NetUSBee Lite problems on TT: Any thoughts?

Post by stephen_usher »

I've a NetUSBee Lite unit which isn't working correctly on my TT but is working on my STE and I wondered if any of you might have some hints as to where to look next.

After cleaning the TT's cartridge port the unit passes the NETUS.TOS network chip tests and also passes HT2ENEC.TOS (seeing the correct mac address) and HT4ENEC.TOS tests. However, SETMAC.PRG fails to write a new mac address to the ROM and UIPV43.TOS gets a zero mac address.

On my STE it works flawlessly.

Any ideas?

Steve
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rpineau

Re: NetUSBee Lite problems on TT: Any thoughts?

Post by rpineau »

This sounds like a speed issue.
I wonder if the TT access the cartridge port faster and the NetUSBee can't put the data on the bus (or read them fast enough in the case of SETMAC.PRG).
I haven't tried mine on my TT and everything is in storage so I can't test this now.
I know the NetUSBee works on some TT and not on other so my guess is that depending on the TT version to cartridge port access timing are not quite the same and this might be enough to trigger the issue you see.
That being said.. this is pure speculation a this point.
Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That would definitely be annoying if it were the case as I'd bought the Netusbee specifically to try to get an old MiNTnet working. Never mind. At least I can transfer games onto the UltraSATAN connected to the STE over the net using UIP.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
krupkaj

Post by krupkaj »

What is the full configuration of your TT? I had a trouble with network on my TT which has Aix TT RAM and NOVA installed. When removed one of device everything works well.
arf

Post by arf »

krupkaj wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 pm What is the full configuration of your TT? I had a trouble with network on my TT which has Aix TT RAM and NOVA installed. When removed one of device everything works well.
Power supply problems?
--
Against signature spam!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

My TT has standard Atari ST-RAM (4MB total) plus an Atari TT-RAM card with four 4MB SIMMs, with a 1GB Maxtor hard disk.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Netusbee works fine on my TT. Sorry not much more to add. Did you try in plain tos with that uiptool? I know mint can be complicated in itself to get working sometimes.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

With my Atari TT a NetusBee is not working too but with a Mega STE and a Mega ST is working fine. There are Atari TT machine with working EtherNEC/NetusBee and not working ones ...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

It would be interesting to pin point why it works on some TT’s and not others. What is the common factor. I.e. is it the board rev or other factor.

I have a Rev. H TT board and the NetUSBee works well. Works in TOS, MiNT and NetBSD. I have tried it with different ST and TT ram configurations / boards and all works.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm wondering if it's a software issue as much as a hardware one given that the diagnostic tools can read the MAC address from ROM and the chip registers but the software used to run the ethernet (UIP) sees zeros in the MAC address.

Could it be a timing or maybe a caching issue? Though turning off the CPU cache doesn't change the problem.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”