DualTOS assembly accident

Problems with your machine in general.
Bobrane

DualTOS assembly accident

Post by Bobrane »

Hi,

This question is mostly for Exxos.
I've assembled my Dual TOS kit, i had plugged it in my motherboard, but i wanted to disconnect it for some reason...

I did it carefully, but not enough. So i've bent or broke a lot of pins.

I maybe fixed it by replacing the damaged pins. It's ok, except for the one marked below as "B".
The narrow copper track on the other side is gone with the old pin. I've replaced it by a wire connected between "A" (on the other side) and "B".
DUALTOSR2.jpg
DUALTOSR2.jpg (256.46 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
What do you think about this ?
Is it ok to have a continuity between the two sides of the board on the connection point marked as "A" ?
Is it worth a try or will it put my motherboard at risk ?

Shame on me :oops: So I ordered another kit, but maybe this one could be used inside another machine.
Thanks for your help.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DualTOS assembly accident

Post by exxos »

(A) is just a via, so it will contact top and bottom...

rs.jpg
rs.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

OK, thank you. So I'll give it a try ;)
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

2 pins ? :lol:
I broke 12 of them right after finished the soldering !
:dizzy:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Did you solder the pins into the mainboard? I used the sockets and had no problems, plus the Gotek still fitted above it.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

No, i used the sockets too.
But i soldered the 4 rows of pins without taking care of the space between them... So after connecting, the board was too high and the gotek too tight. That's why i wanted to take it out to correct it a little. And... Voilà.
It's a pitty as i was really proud of my soldering job.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ahh, ok, with you now.

I've done two so far, happily no incident with either. I plugged the headers into the sockets and pushed all the way home, then put the ROM switcher on the headers.

There's usually enough tension on the pins to hold the board in the right place whilst you work, and I only solder one pin at the end of each row, until I'm happy with postioning. It's a lot easier to adjust if you only have the end pins soldered, then finish off once you're happy with alignment.

Will keep my fingers crossed you can get it sorted out.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

Thanks! :thumbup:
I fixed it already, but had no time to test it.
Plus, i ordered a second kit to offer me a second chance to do a good job on my main STE.
This one will go in another (older) machine.
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

Hi all,
I received the second DualTOS kit from Exxos (thanks!) and I managed to assemble it without issue this time.
I did not have to modify the jumpers, my STE came with 1.62 and the "resistors-like" jumpers were already in the right place:
W103, W102 and W104 in the middle-right.

But, .. yes there is a but ...
When switched to TOS 1.62 everything seems to be fine and the STE shows the desktop.
When switched to TOS 2.06 i get 11 bombs right after the memory test.

Arg! Someone already had that ?
Many thanks in advance for any idea.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I would try cleaning the contacts on the CPU and see if that solves it... I've only ever seen TOS206 bomb when floppy drive isn't connected, though thats normally 2 or 4 bombs not 11..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”