PLCC SOCKETS ARE EVIL

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLCC SOCKETS ARE EVIL

Post by exxos »

I got the 3M sockets....

This image is with the chip place on top of the socket (not fully inserted)
3m1.jpg
3m1.jpg (159.55 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

This image is with the chip inserted....
3m2.jpg
3m2.jpg (154.28 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

And this is trying to get a close-up shot....
3m3.jpg
3m3.jpg (99.92 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

It is difficult to get the pins and the plastic parts in focus at the same time...

The angle of everything makes it look worse than it actually is... Basically the plastic spacers go in between the PLCC pins are small enough to bend the pins, and they all look perfectly aligned... In actual fact, the plastic spaces do not even seem long enough to even be a problem..

Other sides of the socket also seems good on the actual electrical contacts... All the contacts look pressed together perfectly, which is of course how they are supposed to be... Some of the other sockets there was a clear visible gap is why I have had so much trouble with them.

I have only just started using the socket, but so far it seems to be best fitting socket I have seen so far..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Maeke

Re: PLCC SOCKETS ARE EVIL

Post by Maeke »

I'm half expecting someone to make a printable compatible atari plcc68 socket at this rate. :threadjacked:
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”