Issues after failed TOS upgrade STe

Problems with your machine in general.
winner61

Issues after failed TOS upgrade STe

Post by winner61 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello all. If you read my intro you know I have recently bought an STe from France. Worked all ok and liked an UK/US TOS and at the same time go from 1.62 to 2.06. Too bad the TOS chips were soldered on the mainboard and had to solder them out. Carefully with a lot of braid I took on this job. Not careful enough, it did not go OK. Propably the desoldering was not done properly and I damaged the mainboard a little as you can see in the pictures. At first I only had a white screen so I did a little resoldering and for the not trained eye it looked good. Connected it again and for just a short moment I saw the ATARI Logo. After only a second or so I got a dark screen with sometimes some color pixeling. In HighRez it just stayes black. Something was obviously wrong. I ordered a desoldering iron and after a few weeks I took out the dip sockets I placed and that's where I am now. When I connect my STf without TOS Roms I get a white screen, so for the test I did this with the STe also. No video output at all, just black. I am afraid some other chip is fried. So before I repair the damage and put in the sockets again I would like to know if anyone had this experience or has any suggestions what else can be wrong and how to go on now. Hope you have the answers I seek. See pic's at:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Avq5N3rIv5eKyjKXZO0814ZVScxI

rubber_jonnie

Re: Issues after failed TOS upgrade STe

Post by rubber_jonnie » Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm

I'd get yourself a magnifying glass and look really closely at the damaged areas, and map out which tracks are damaged, and if any of the vias are also damaged. If they have gone, you could not only be missing connections with damaged tracks, but also critical through board (Top to bottom) connections.

If you can make a map of what is damaged, you can probably use patch wires to fix it.

I had a similar problem with a FDD controller chip, and was able to fix it in this manner.

I'd be wary of comparing an STF without ROMS to an STE. The hardware, though compatible, is different, and it may not help.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue May 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, I managed couple times during socket desoldering to damage some lines, tiny lines which lead to socket (IC pins) . It's easy to fix. All you need is good eye and maybe even more ohmmeter . Some errors are barely visible.
In your pics I see couple places what seem as shortcut between line, pin soldering pad and GND. You need to clean it and check everything for shortcuts and broken lines with instrument. Don't turn on machine before removing all shortcuts.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

troed

Post by troed » Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Yeah you have a few missing rings completely there. It's most probably solvable, but you'll have to do a lot of trace repairing. I'd go about it like this:

1) Check for shorts. Make sure nothing is connected to something it shouldn't. Not being connected to where it should is not an issue at this stage.
2) Insert sockets and solder them.
3) Measure all socket pins both bottom and top side to where they should have connection. This is where you find out which haven't.
4) Solder wires from the bottom side (likely enough) to where connection should exist.

It doesn't _look_ like any unrelated via's are damaged.

winner61

Post by winner61 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks for the pointers. Yes, a few rings are missing. All of them have no connection at the bottom layer so I will try to put in small pieces of wire to be sure these pins will have a top layer connection. One track is broken so that one needs a wire. I will be extra careful this time and will use the good old multimeter afterwards to test all connections for shorts and continuity. I will post the outcome, wish me luck. Hope no other parts are fried from the first try :roll:

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed May 30, 2018 9:03 am

winner61 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:42 am
Thanks for the pointers. Yes, a few rings are missing. All of them have no connection at the bottom layer so I will try to put in small pieces of wire to be sure these pins will have a top layer connection. One track is broken so that one needs a wire. I will be extra careful this time and will use the good old multimeter afterwards to test all connections for shorts and continuity. I will post the outcome, wish me luck. Hope no other parts are fried from the first try :roll:
Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..

winner61

Post by winner61 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 am

Guys, everything is well in the Garden of Eden :D
I was a bit sceptical at first, afraid I damaged more things then the ROM area only. It was as if I was a baby-surgeon. Working with just 2 strands of wire to repair the circuitry. After careful soldering I took a long time measuring with the multimeter. No shorts and all the critical leads were tested and doubletested.
First 'contact' resulted in a big nothing, but that was without ROMS, memory and FD. OK, that was not very hopeful. So I put in the ROMS, memory and connected the FD and keyboard. AGAIN NOTHING, just black... only the bottom left green keyboardlight. Hope sank in my shoes (slippers by the way, it's hot). Then I remembered I did not put back the jumpers W102-3-4. Oké One more chance.... VOILA, the screen booted with the Atari logo and the FD made the proper noises. Ahhh, quickly I releaved myself ( :lol: Larry, you know….)
So great succes.
Next project will be a quatrro ROM for the STe, bought myself an eprommer and see how far I come. At least I have proper ROM sockets now. But first I'm going to play with it for a while.
I keep you all posted. A big thanks guys!

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed May 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Glad to hear disaster has been averted!

:cheers:
Plus the rest..