non-socketed CPU

Help & information about the STE V1 series boosters.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: non-socketed CPU

Post by IngoQ »

Oh yes, now that I look at a picture of your booster, I see the problem... All PLCC plugs have their Pins layout in a straight line, and not like the PGA socket in an offset way. Damn...
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Exxos, in your post about the STE V1.5 booster you mentioned a "simple adapter". Is this already reality and if yes how does it look like? Could it be of any use here?

Or do I really have to resort to ribbon cable? :-P

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm Exxos, in your post about the STE V1.5 booster you mentioned a "simple adapter". Is this already reality and if yes how does it look like? Could it be of any use here?

Or do I really have to resort to ribbon cable? :-P

That is what I was referring to with the plastic CPU earlier...

Though that is to plug into the CPU socket on the motherboard..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Ah okay, now I get it. Pins from your booster into the socket and the plastic dummy to clamp them in place.

Meanwhile I found this:
68pg_pl.jpg
68pg_pl.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
But can you believe they really want 150 Bucks for this? :shock:

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah, the "PLCC RISERS" were about £40 last time I checked. Its why I designed my own, since the pins are on the booster PCB anyway.. the only thing needed is a plastic square to replace the CPU.. then everything slots together like a proper adapter anyway , only a fraction of the cost...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

IngoQ wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm Ah okay, now I get it. Pins from your booster into the socket and the plastic dummy to clamp them in place.

Meanwhile I found this:

68pg_pl.jpg

But can you believe they really want 150 Bucks for this? :shock:
The left one wouldn't work, atari used another pinout on it's plcc sockets.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Yep, you're right. It's called SPGA, correct? And with that, all converters and adapters are out of the race. I could not even find a PLCC68 Socket with SPGA pinout.

So if I see this right, the only remaining option is ribbon cable, or did I miss something?

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 pm Yep, you're right. It's called SPGA, correct? And with that, all converters and adapters are out of the race. I could not even find a PLCC68 Socket with SPGA pinout.

So if I see this right, the only remaining option is ribbon cable, or did I miss something?

I call it "funky pinout" ;)

I did design a adapter..
http://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/blitter/index.htm

They were custom made by Atari (god knows why?!)

I think the easiest way would be to fit a SMT socket. Assuming they align with the pads on the motherboard that is.

The only other way would be to have the new plug in design, solder the pins on the motherboard after removing the CPU.. then solder the pins on the booster.. Though that isn't going to be easy. I don't think ribbon cable is a good idea either.

Mostly I have just been telling people to get another motherboard. Same problem with my MMU RAM upgrade kit, not easy to fit onto of the MMU.. I don't think anyone has even tried that, though its how the marpets did it on such motherboards.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

exxos wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm I think the easiest way would be to fit a SMT socket. Assuming they align with the pads on the motherboard that is.
Okay, this I could do. But then what? Use your adapter to solder a PLCC plug on the booster? Or could I use the same technique like you on your new plugin design?
exxos wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm Mostly I have just been telling people to get another motherboard.
Yes, but I like my STE... and I have two cats ;-)

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 pm Okay, this I could do. But then what? Use your adapter to solder a PLCC plug on the booster? Or could I use the same technique like you on your new plugin design?
It would need the V1.5 STE booster. Though that project is on hold as I diverted my attention to the STF remake project.

Problem with developing hardware on STF/E machines is there is always something which is unstable. A lot of projects are actually really easy and simple to do ( well aside from if you have 100 of such projects, then it adds up to years of work :roll: ) but in practice, I probably spend 90% of the time chasing faults on the motherboards. Its just not productive to keep chasing such faults since developing new hardware takes forever.

So my time has gone into my store and the remake project. Where I can have a proper stable motherboard to design addons and upgrades for. People can then just plug them in, no faffing about. Once everything is finished and I am happy its stable. Then I will look to adapting those designs to run on the original motherboards. But again, this will likely be some years down the line.

The only booster I am working on is the new V2 STFM booster. Though this is a remake of the original rather than a new product. So of course I can't work on the STFM booster and the STE booster, and the STF remake project, and IDE, and flash-tos etc etc all at the same time.

Long term , at least for me, its just going to be quicker and easier to work on the new motherboard. Everything else will have to wait.

Return to “STE V1 SERIES 32MHz BOOSTER”