Various other hardware solutions.
ube

ubeswitch - video adapter.

Post by ube »

IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 15292 times
ubeswitch is a semi-smart solution for your Atari STFM/E/MEGA ST which adds:
* VGA connector
* Button for switching video mode and configuration (see blelow).
* 3.5mm A/V connector
* Volume control.
* Automatic detection and switching of resolution (requires software implementation).

Button functions:
* Short press (0.25-1.999[..] seconds): Switch resolution.
* Long press (+2 seconds): Save current resolution as default at cold boot.

Please note:
15KHz H-Sync capable monitor is required. Such as the one reviewed here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=30&t=309
Early ST models does not have 12V output on video port and thus cannot power the adapter.

Code, schematics and PCB-layout available at GitHub

Store link

Glamour shot
gs.jpg
gs.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 14652 times
master of the bare pcb
Methanoid

Re: ubeswitch - video adapter.

Post by Methanoid »

Automatic detection and switching of resolution (requires software implementation).

What does this mean exactly? ST software needed? Or what... I can find no info anywhere... Thanks
ube

Post by ube »

Yepp. Software is under development, don’t know the status or who, except Troed, might be working on a driver.

Small demo:

master of the bare pcb
troed

Post by troed »

Yeah it's still on my todo ... :/ It is a bit tricky.

For demo developers, no driver is necessary. It's common to edit in high res, then disable VBL, switch to low - run the demo - switch back and enable VBL again. Works perfectly fine with the auto switching adapter :)
Methanoid

Post by Methanoid »

Q: Would this work still with the original 520 ST (not STFM)
troed

Post by troed »

Methanoid wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 am Q: Would this work still with the original 520 ST (not STFM)
Yes, I use it with one.
Methanoid

Post by Methanoid »

Q: does this pass all signals from STE video port to pins on VGA? I am wondering if it would be possible to plug the VGA output into a GBS8220 scan doubler... and whether that device then would double LO/MED but not HI ?? Curious
ube

Post by ube »

Methanoid wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 pm Q: does this pass all signals from STE video port to pins on VGA? I am wondering if it would be possible to plug the VGA output into a GBS8220 scan doubler... and whether that device then would double LO/MED but not HI ?? Curious
Can’t really see why it shouldn’t work. As long as the scan doubler can handle 15khz signal over its vga port.
master of the bare pcb
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Don't know about the GBS8220, but the framemeister will accept the 15kHz-Signal and convert/scale it. When provided with ST-High it will either produce a distorted image or none at all, since it's inputs are not designed for VGA (or similar) timings. I think the GBS8220 will pretty much behave the same way.

That's actually how I use it currently, while the ubeswitch is on it's way: Having a DIN to SCART cable for Lo/Med which is connected to the framemeister, and a DIN to VGA cable connected directly to the display.

Having the ubeswitch in between that would in my mind defy a little the purpose of the switch, since I see it's main advantage in not having to change the connection, when switching from Lo/Med to Hi. Provided your display can handle 15KHz.

Or am I missing something?
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
stween

Post by stween »

So today I received one of these (thanks to exxos's store!), and it's immediately great: I've discovered at least one of my screens handles a low/med res picture over VGA. ACER G276HL, if you're interested!

Audio question though: the 3.5mm jack should "just work" for audio out, right? I've tried on two STs and I get nothing (I've twiddled the knob plenty) :(

Return to “HARDWARE ESSENTIALS”