Cartridge keys and emulation

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
djhardrich

Re: Cartridge keys and emulation

Post by djhardrich »

I found a C-Lab Notator (pink label) dongle for under $300 (an absolute rarity), czietz or Troed, would you like to take a look at it? Apparently the Creator dongle doesn’t work with Notator (extremely sought-after, much like Cubase 3.1). I don’t have a real ST to help debug unfortunately, just want to see these get preserved/implemented in the ST MiST/MiSTer cores as well, and since they don’t have enough pins for a cartridge port, it really boils down to keeping these things compatible with the only (FPGA) ST’s that won’t rot in the next 10 years ;)
troed

Post by troed »

I'm sure it will be similar to Creator, so if I succeed in dumping the Creator key I have it would be worthwhile spending that kind of money on Notator. However, currently I'm on the 1st gen Steinberger (Masterscore right now) and while I know I will succeed (thanks to the work others have done) I don't have much time to spend on it at the moment.

/Troed
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Just got a computer from ebay and it had this plugged in the end any input on what notator it is for
20200707_131804.jpg
20200707_131804.jpg (304.49 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
Tom
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Tomswork Pretty sure that the original Notator dongle will work with any version of Notator (unlike the Cubase dongles, where red is for v3 & score etc. but black is for v2.0 or earlier).

I've managed to use one of mine with v3.21 (AFAIK the last version released...which also works with the Log 3 interface that comes with Logic) & it did work with earlier versions (I think I upgraded from Creator to Notator while version 2 was the current version).

Is there a specific version you want to use it with?
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@JezC

I think I have notator on a hd somewere will see if this cartridge works. Maybe someone can you use the cartridge. And the hd has lots of recoverable midi files

Tom
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Tomswork Even if the files don't work from the hard drive, the original disc images are available online (I can dig out a link if you need it).

I'm sure that it will be very useful to a forum member (I'm lucky enough to have a couple of original Notator dongles plus two Log 3 interfaces).

If all else fails, one of the EmuTOS developers was wanting to borrow a dongle to help fix a small graphics corruption that occurs with Notator on EmuTOS while NVDI is running.

Do you have any interest in using the ST for MIDI/music?
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@JezC

No I'm not a musician. I would like to pass the dongle on to some who can use it. And enjoy it. If you know anyone let me know

Tom
JezC

Post by JezC »

Tomswork wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 pm @JezC

No I'm not a musician. I would like to pass the dongle on to some who can use it. And enjoy it. If you know anyone let me know

Tom
Will do - if no-one else wants it then I would suggest that you consider loaning it to the EmuTOS developers to help them fix a bug & test future releases (at least until there is another way round the dongle protection).

It's very good of you to offer the dongle!
djhardrich

Post by djhardrich »

@Tomswork It appears @troed would be the person that could make use of it the most; 2 posts before yours, I was talking about spending $300usd on the same cartridge to send to him or @czietz ;) If you could lend the cart to the reversing effort, that’d be incredible!

(I’m exactly the kind of person that could make use of/enjoy the dongle, but getting it reversed for the community is a bigger win ;) )

Let me know if I can help somehow!

EDIT: Looks like czietz is too busy at the moment, so I suppose that leaves Troed for reversing or the EmuTOS crew to fix the graphic bug.... Will chip in on shipping costs ;)
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Hi there. I had issues trying out the online version.

Here is my original disk which I still have.
NOTATOR.zip
(328.99 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”