3D models of ST parts

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3D models of ST parts

Post by Icky »

troed wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 am
Icky wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 am Has anyone looked at printing and I know its a large part the MegaSTE / TT HDD drive lid.

One of my main reasons for wanting this part is to have slots in the front of it for the SD cards (internal Gigafile / UltraSatan) and USB ports (Lightning VME USB) and not damage the original.
It's 2cm longer than my 3D printer can handle
Shame. I did think it was a part that looks small compared to a whole case but as you say is too big for 3D printers. Thanks troed for looking.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 am It's 2cm longer than my 3D printer can handle
How long is that?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

While we're chatting, can anybody recommend a decent free(ish) CAD program? I have FreeCad at the moment, but I'm not keen on the GUI, so if any one has one that they particularly like, I'd be interested.

I'm using Cura and/or Repetier with my printer, though it's only a week old, and I'm still tuning it, but reasonably happy with the results so far.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
sandord

Post by sandord »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:42 am While we're chatting, can anybody recommend a decent free(ish) CAD program? I have FreeCad at the moment, but I'm not keen on the GUI, so if any one has one that they particularly like, I'd be interested.

I'm using Cura and/or Repetier with my printer, though it's only a week old, and I'm still tuning it, but reasonably happy with the results so far.
Troed adviced Fusion 360 to me (there's a free version) and I think it's very impressive! But, it's not easy to start with.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Cool, thanks, I will give it a try out. FreeCad is also a bit tricky too. I'm sure I will find something!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I've got Fusion 360 installed, I have not used it much, learning curve maybe, but kinda find it a bit annoying overall, just seems to take a long time to do something simple. I guess its because I have no idea about 3D stuff anyway, but I would prefer a easier package to start with.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am I've got Fusion 360 installed, I have not used it much, learning curve maybe, but kinda find it a bit annoying overall, just seems to take a long time to do something simple. I guess its because I have no idea about 3D stuff anyway, but I would prefer a easier package to start with.
I used to do a lot of 3d stuff years ago with a program for Truespace, which is still available and I've downloaded. Trouble is, they have really changed the UI between v4 and V7, and I'm finding the changes hard to relate to after all this time. It was superb for making all sorts of cool shapes.

Guess I'll try Fusion 360, see if I can get a "free for personal use" license like the website suggests. If it's good enough for Ben Heck....

Will see what else I can find out there on the interweb and will report back.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Fusion 3d is just what I wanted! I was able to create a simple stand off, basically a hollow cylinder 10x5 with a 3mm hole thru the centre in about 2 minutes flat. Works for me.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

That's what I would have recommended too but you all beat me to it. Very capable program if not immediately straight forward to use.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

It would be interesting to make a modified version of the MegaSTE / TT HDD drive lid to fit a CosmosEX in it. Same for a SatanDrive (I assume the screw holes pattern is probably similar to the one of a floppy drive) and if there is enough space, 2 usb port.
I mostly use Sketchup (might move to fusion 360) and will soon have a bigger 3D printer than my current one with a print volume of 197x197x254 mm so I should be able to print it in one go.
For those with smaller print volume (I guess the 15x15x15 cm ones like my current one), we could cut it in 2 interlocking pieces that you glue/screw together.

Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”