MSTE Mousse issue

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
stephen_usher

Re: MSTE Mousse issue

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

The symptoms sound similar to when I had dirty contacts on the mouse plug/socket, i.e. not all connections are being made. That can cause some strange effects such as not being able to double-click or both left and right buttons seemingly being pressed when the right button pressed.

So, this could be a bad connection, either solder or plug/socket.

P.S. At least on the TT, the power available to the keyboard seems to be far less than on the ST as if I try to use a "Tom" adapter for a USB mouse on the TT keyboard I have a lot of problems of joystick not working or sometimes the keyboard stopping working or the "Tom" rebooting, which I don't get on any of my STs or STe.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

francouai

Post by francouai » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 am

Here it is a very good video showing the problem.
in fact, the right clic works.. but not everywhere on the TOS windows:

I just booted up my MSTE, so it is cold.
You can see that the right clic works but not everywhere.
I cannot go to the top MENU and I'm not able to close the windows.
Means the keyboard/mouse works fine. but lools to be a logical issue.. but where??

Suddenly, after 15 mns (from COLD to HOT condition), I'm able to go to the top menus and everything is working fine.
--
Francouai

francouai

Post by francouai » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 am

If I do now a soft reset, I'll loose one more time the menus access.
I'll have to wait for about 8 minutes to be able to get back on the MEnus and be able to close TOS windows.

I used a TOS 2.06 from an Atari 520 STE. I think the ROMS are the same between MSTE and STE.
But this MSTE was running before with TOS 2.05 and I had the same problem.
confirming it is not a TOS issue.

If I connect a joypad on the left port from the keyboard, the mess is coming back.. :evil:
I have to disconnect the pad and wait for few minutes to get back the normal condition.
--
Francouai

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 am

This has to be due to a bad cable somehow. The only correlation between the parts where the mouse button works and does not seems to be the position the mouse is physically in. Depending on the physical position, the cable bends differently. For example, when pushing the mouse to the upper left corner, my cable kind of curls up.

Can you try to move the mouse while holding the cable with your other hand, keeping the cable in the same position as much as possible?

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 am

stephen_usher wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm
The symptoms sound similar to when I had dirty contacts on the mouse plug/socket, i.e. not all connections are being made. That can cause some strange effects such as not being able to double-click or both left and right buttons seemingly being pressed when the right button pressed.

So, this could be a bad connection, either solder or plug/socket.

P.S. At least on the TT, the power available to the keyboard seems to be far less than on the ST as if I try to use a "Tom" adapter for a USB mouse on the TT keyboard I have a lot of problems of joystick not working or sometimes the keyboard stopping working or the "Tom" rebooting, which I don't get on any of my STs or STe.
Ah, I see you tried a different mouse already.

Still, the way the mouse is moved may translate to a different force on the mouse port.

You could try to make the connector sit more tight by putting sticky tape around the connector. Possibly the port pins on the pcb are bad, which would be resolved by resoldering.

francouai

Post by francouai » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm moving forward !
I tried a spare MSTE keyboard and no more issue at all.
means something is wrong on this keyboard.
In the mean time, I'm swap the Chip HD6301V1P on the keyboard by one from an atari ste.
--
Francouai

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:44 pm

If you look though the schematics viewtopic.php?f=31&t=100 one of them should have the keyboard diagram..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

francouai

Post by francouai » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

I changed the two IC on the MSTE keyboard and it fixed my Menu's problems and the mouse right clic.
BUT..
I'm having a new issue with Games.
The FIRE trigger doesn't works.. or works but few seconds in game.
I resold all the contacts inside this keyboard and now, I have no more idea.

I checked all the diode and resistors.
But the FIRE trigger (PIN 06) is going, at least straight to the main HD6301V1P chip and shared with another PIN (9?) on Port 01 (mouse).

This MSTE is killing me...
Thinking now to buy a new MSTE/TT keyboard... :evil:
--
Francouai

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:35 pm

You need to trace the connector pins to the IC's on the keyboard and make sure the tracks are connecting with a meter.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

francouai

Post by francouai » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:45 pm

the trace for PIN 6 (FIRE) is fine.. tested wih a multimeters tool.
--
Francouai