Leaving your computer case pristine - switch installation trick

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
sandord

Leaving your computer case pristine - switch installation trick

Post by sandord »

I wanted to install a TOS switch in my ST the other day. But I didn't want to drill a hole in the case, I wanted it to stay pristine as much as possible.

Since I already had a Gotek drive installed with a 3D printed bracket (which again, doesn't require case modifcation), I figured I could stick the switch in the bracket panel.

I would advice anyone who's thinking of getting a Gotek (or if you have one and didn't mill your case) to get hold of a 3D printed bracket: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2664753

I wouldn't mind printing a few of them and mail them for postage costs.

Anyway, nice solution, eh?

IMG_20181028_133136.jpg
IMG_20181028_133136.jpg (166.5 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
JezC

Re: Leaving your computer case pristine - switch installation trick

Post by JezC »

Looks lovely! :)

One of my STEs has a TOS switcher installed (the previous owner drilled a hole in the case...D'Oh!) but the original floppy works fine in that one...but at the weekend I found that I have a 1040 STFM with a non-functional Epson 380 drive (which works fine with a Gotek though)...

I'm trying to find a semi-logical argument which means that I can get a 3d printer without being either killed/fed to the dog & cats/divorced as a result. :roll:
sandord

Post by sandord »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm I'm trying to find a semi-logical argument which means that I can get a 3d printer without being either killed/fed to the dog & cats/divorced as a result. :roll:
By all means, do it. I've got a 283 euro printer and I've had so much fun using it, it's been worth every penny. You might want to tell your partner you'll be able to fix things around the house with it, print broken cups and cutlery etc.

Seriously, I fixed a few lost knobs, broken buttons etc. on various devices. Very satisfying, especially if you're interested in doing 3D designs (drawing existing stuff for repairs) although there's a lot to find online (thingiverse.com etc.)
JezC

Post by JezC »

sandord wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:09 pm
JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm I'm trying to find a semi-logical argument which means that I can get a 3d printer without being either killed/fed to the dog & cats/divorced as a result. :roll:
By all means, do it. I've got a 283 euro printer and I've had so much fun using it, it's been worth every penny. You might want to tell your partner you'll be able to fix things around the house with it, print broken cups and cutlery etc.

Seriously, I fixed a few lost knobs, broken buttons etc. on various devices. Very satisfying, especially if you're interested in doing 3D designs (drawing existing stuff for repairs) although there's a lot to find online (thingiverse.com etc.)
I think i will have to earn lots of brownie points before I get away with that :( ...but good to know they can be very useful. :idea: Maybe I should try & convince my boss at work that we 'need' one for some prototyping/test gear...then I can experiment a bit first & have something to show the potential value... :lol:
pobolycwm

Post by pobolycwm »

What a neat idea, wasnt relishing the idea of drilling extra holes in the case when i get my Dual TOS board
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm
I'm trying to find a semi-logical argument which means that I can get a 3d printer without being either killed/fed to the dog & cats/divorced as a result. :roll:
I just got a 3d printer for £90, and whilst its far from perfect, it certainly is a starting point, and good enough to print off that Gotek mount, of which I've now done two.

Birthday was the charm for me, though I need to find a way to quieten it down as the printing is a bit noisy, even upstairs in my man cave.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:57 am
JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm
I just got a 3d printer for £90, and whilst its far from perfect, it certainly is a starting point, and good enough to print off that Gotek mount, of which I've now done two.

Birthday was the charm for me, though I need to find a way to quieten it down as the printing is a bit noisy, even upstairs in my man cave.
Hmm, that's a bit more affordable. Almost an option for a Christmas present...:-)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 am
Hmm, that's a bit more affordable. Almost an option for a Christmas present...:-)
Of course for £90 it isn't going to be 100% wonderful, but you have to start somewhere. I've already started looking for upgrade options such as belt tensioners and braces.

Took me about 6 hours to assemble (Yes you read that right, 6 hours), then I spent another 2 hours setting up the bed and auto leveling, but it's good fun, and worth the effort.

What's great is that once you have it working in a basic format, you can print enhancements for it! If you want to build your own stuff, you'll need a CAD program. I'm trying out Fusion 3d atm, it seems really easy to use, and you can get a free version for personal/hobbyist use.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”