520ST small model w/ no floppy / general advice

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Steve

520ST small model w/ no floppy / general advice

Post by Steve »

Hey guys,

I've recently picked up a nice little 520st (the original external psu model) I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (it's overseas) but I am hoping to give it a full clean / restore / retrobright etc, then afterwards I want to look at booster options and storage options.

The machine *apparently* already has a 4mb upgrade, no idea which type/version yet. I am hoping I can get some advice around possible upgrades for CPU speed and perhaps sd/cf storage options available to purchase. I am not certain if internal CF options are available, or whether it's best to just get an external Satandisk or something. Also is the best available booster the 1.5 booster exxos sells?

Thanks for any advice,
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 520ST small model w/ no floppy / general advice

Post by exxos »

Get a ultrasatan, at least you can move it between machines easily... V1.5 booster is the only one I sell at the moment anyway, likely only one which fits.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

Please post a picture of the mem upgrade :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Alrighty thanks, pretty much answers my questions. I'll post some photos of the memory when I get to see it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oh one more thing... Is the only difference between the ST and the STFM the internal PSU? I mean hardware wise, for games and things.
troed

Post by troed »

Internal PSU and internal floppy
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 am Internal PSU and internal floppy
They should have called the STF(M) the STPF(M) ;)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Another question! I've ordered a 720k external floppy drive, would the machine be compatible with 1.44mb external as well? I do have a spare WD floppy controller chip from my TT, would that upgrade the machine if I put it in?
troed

Post by troed »

Steve wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:16 am Another question! I've ordered a 720k external floppy drive, would the machine be compatible with 1.44mb external as well? I do have a spare WD floppy controller chip from my TT, would that upgrade the machine if I put it in?
No, you need more logic around when to clock it at higher speeds - and an extra wire from the computer to the external drive to know when it has DD or HD disks inserted. It helps that you have a chip that should be able to run at that speed though.

However, yes - it _can_ be done :) If your existing floppy chip isn't socketed it would need to be desoldered as well.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0041
Steve

Post by Steve »

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”