16BIT ROM CART THOUGHTS

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Atarian Computing

Re: 16BIT ROM CART THOUGHTS

Post by Atarian Computing »

exxos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 pm
exxos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I only have 2 64K banks left, and 2 versions of YAART will use up both of those.
Or are you meaning the actual PRG file as thats about 8K ?

Would be cool on a RAM disk with both programs. Though I am not sure about it needing to get to the desktop over simply booting right up from cartridge.. Though I guess it does beg the question that other smaller programs could be loaded into the RAM disk as well I guess ?
You can do pretty much anything. You can have several small programs on regular cart image and ramdisk. The advantage of ramdisk is that it's not read-only, and you can use accessories and other file types as well.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Atarian Computing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:16 pm Ah, I didn't know you were using 64KB banks. But why use separate banks for the ram tests? Here's a 64KB cart image with both tests.

I have perfected several methods to be able to pretty much put anything on a cart. Only the size is a limit after packing. There's room on this image for more as well.
If I understand this correctly, your booting to desktop and installing a RAM disk and I assume copying the programs to the RAM Drive ? Which means more RAM is used and then not tested ? If the RAM is not stable or has issues, then its all better all running from ROM ?

I guess what I could do is rip apart one of the lower address lines and splitting a 64K block into 2x 32K blocks, then I could fit YAART in that way as its only about 8K per program.. Then it would leave a 64K block to run your RAM disk on.. but not sure what programs be useful for diagnostics and be small ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Atarian Computing

exxos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Atarian Computing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:16 pm Ah, I didn't know you were using 64KB banks. But why use separate banks for the ram tests? Here's a 64KB cart image with both tests.

I have perfected several methods to be able to pretty much put anything on a cart. Only the size is a limit after packing. There's room on this image for more as well.
If I understand this correctly, your booting to desktop and installing a RAM disk and I assume copying the programs to the RAM Drive ? Which means more RAM is used and then not tested ? If the RAM is not stable or has issues, then its all better all running from ROM ?

I guess what I could do is rip apart one of the lower address lines and splitting a 64K block into 2x 32K blocks, then I could fit YAART in that way as its only about 8K per program.. Then it would leave a 64K block to run your RAM disk on.. but not sure what programs be useful for diagnostics and be small ?
For the ramtest a ramdisk is obviously not viable, hence the image above being just a regular cart with the programs in it. But again, why not keep both yaarts in one image?
Atarian Computing

Here's what it looks like on the desktop.
yaart-cart.png
yaart-cart.png (169.56 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

I'll take a PCB, I can assemble it myself :)
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Atarian Computing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:45 pm Here's what it looks like on the desktop.
Right, so you mean YAART on a cartridge drive, not on the RAM drive then ? In which case, what are you running on the RAM drive ?

I was just trying to see if I could fit both YAART into a single 64K block, The range I have free is a 64K block at $60000 and $70000. So YAART could go at $60000, and $68000.. That would leave the $70000 block free for a "cartridge drive"

Or do as you say, have the 2 YAART programs on a cartridge drive which would probably be more effective on space..

Its a shame GB6 wasn't smaller, that would be a great tool to have copied onto a RAM drive. Wonder if that would work if it was all compressed and extracted onto a RAM drive ? Saying that, the extraction code would probably take up a fair bit of room as well...

EDIT:

Ah nop, even ZIP on BEST has GB6 at 53KB.. thats probably pushing it.. I don't think the ST packers which would do this would even compress that well ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

OK so STZIP built a TOS self extracting file in 58K... So the question is, could the RAM drive be created with just 6K left ?

I'm assuming a AUTO folder could be created on the RAM drive and the GB6.TOS archive could be run from there so it would auto extract... :shrug:

EDIT:
Or just copy the GB6.TOS to the RAM drive and maybe desktop.inf could auto run it to extract...
Atarian Computing

exxos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 pm OK so STZIP built a TOS self extracting file in 58K... So the question is, could the RAM drive be created with just 6K left ?

I'm assuming a AUTO folder could be created on the RAM drive and the GB6.TOS archive could be run from there so it would auto extract... :shrug:

EDIT:
Or just copy the GB6.TOS to the RAM drive and maybe desktop.inf could auto run it to extract...
Here's the latest GB6 in a cart image I managed to squeeze under 64KB. This is not a self-extracting file but uses other blackmagicfuckery to contain all files in one executable and therefore not needing a ramdisk. This is then further packed with upx.
GB6_CART_1.png
GB6_CART_1.png (61.04 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
GB6_CART_2.png
GB6_CART_2.png (102 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Attachments
GB6.zip
(51.8 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Atarian Computing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:41 pm Here's the latest GB6 in a cart image I managed to squeeze under 64KB.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That is just way to cool!!!

How you manage that, and so quickly ?!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Well done both, very interesting thread
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”