saving resolutions

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
thedavegray

saving resolutions

Post by thedavegray »

Hello,

From reading the webshop page is appears that if I hold in the small button on top of the adaptor for
more than 2 seconds it saves the current resolution for next boot. Is this correct?

I want mine to boot into high resolution 95% of the time so I have done the following:

quick press to change into high resolution.
press button for at least two seconds (no visible indication this has done anything)
hard reset

Every time it start the machine is in low resolution.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

(this may be a re-post, as the first did not appear to work)
ube

Re: saving resolutions

Post by ube »

Hello Dave!

By hard reset I'm guessing you're meaning "pressing reset button", if so - there's no way of reliably[*] detecting if the reset button has been pressed or not. Save state is for cold boot; power on.

[*] Since some (most?) users don't change caps on their computers there are differences in startup time (we're talking milli seconds right now) between computers. Even if I'd run my tests on fresh-off-the-production-line-ataris I'd guess there will be some differences between computers. I'm thinking it's probably C100 that's the main offender as of when it comes to boot times since it's the one connected to the reset circuit.
master of the bare pcb
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

AFAIK the ST can't detect resolution changes just on reset ? I might be wrong though..

As urban also says, I'm finding the reset caps causing all sorts of odd issues lately , in particular the STE's I've been testing lately. So that could also be a issue.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
thedavegray

Post by thedavegray »

ube wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:16 pm Hello Dave!

By hard reset I'm guessing you're meaning "pressing reset button", if so - there's no way of reliably[*] detecting if the reset button has been pressed or not. Save state is for cold boot; power on.

[*] Since some (most?) users don't change caps on their computers there are differences in startup time (we're talking milli seconds right now) between computers. Even if I'd run my tests on fresh-off-the-production-line-ataris I'd guess there will be some differences between computers. I'm thinking it's probably C100 that's the main offender as of when it comes to boot times since it's the one connected to the reset circuit.
Hi,
It was mostly the reset or alt+ctrl+del to reset but I also tried (once) by powering off, didn't make much difference. What is "c100"?

Thanks
thedavegray

Post by thedavegray »

exxos wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:54 pm
As urban also says, I'm finding the reset caps causing all sorts of odd issues lately , in particular the STE's I've been testing lately. So that could also be a issue.
Hi,
What do you mean by this? Is it ctrl+alt+del ?

Thanks
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

thedavegray wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm What do you mean by this? Is it ctrl+alt+del ?
You set which resolution you want, then hold the button for like 5 seconds to store the setting. Then power off your STE for 30 seconds, next time you turn on, you should be in the mode you saved.

C100 is C100 capacitor in the 555 reset circuit on the STE, they are going bad like many other caps in the PSU etc.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”