MOUSE SWITCH

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
mjw333

MOUSE SWITCH

Post by mjw333 »

Separate port for 2nd joystick as standard.
My idea is that you have either slightly better ikbd that can have second line for joy 2 fire button, or have some intelligence that eg; says mouse movement is inactivated after eg; 1/2 second when no '11' is detected in the x or y movement.
Another way of saying the same thing:
if XA+XB are active or YA+YB are active, then mouse input is active for 1/2 second (and this timer resets at the next occurrence of active)..
if they are not active, then take input from joystick 2.
At all times take input from both mouse buttons and joystick button..
Am I overcomplicating things? Does this already exist?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

MOUSE SWITCH

Post by exxos »

mjw333 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm Separate port for 2nd joystick as standard.
My idea is that you have either slightly better ikbd that can have second line for joy 2 fire button, or have some intelligence that eg; says mouse movement is inactivated after eg; 1/2 second when no '11' is detected in the x or y movement.
if XA+XB are active or YA+YB are active, then mouse input is active for 1/2 second (and this timer resets at the next occurrence of active)..
It's a good suggestion, Though this project is relating to the motherboard. The mouse and joystick are on the keyboard which of course isn't part of the motherboard.

However, some have already suggested adding the jaguar pad ports (as found on the STE). Thouse are part of the motherboard and should be possible to add in time to the new motherboard.

What you seem to be suggesting (if I understand correctly?) is a automatic joystick switcher box ? So 2 joysticks can be used on one port ? In that case, I think any normal DB9 switcher box would work, though I am not aware of anything "automatic".
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mjw333

Re: SUGGESTIONS

Post by mjw333 »

exxos wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm
mjw333 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm Separate port for 2nd joystick as standard.
It's a good suggestion, Though this project is relating to the motherboard. The mouse and joystick are on the keyboard which of course isn't part of the motherboard.

What you seem to be suggesting (if I understand correctly?) is a automatic joystick switcher box ? So 2 joysticks can be used on one port ? In that case, I think any normal DB9 switcher box would work, though I am not aware of anything "automatic".
You're right a normal DB9 switcher boxes seem to exist.. one seems to be called "Mouse Master" (And as this is a keyboard fix, outside the scope of the project)
Automatic operation would also have to not disable your joystick in the middle of a game just because the mouse got ever so slightly bumped, then there's the case where the mouse happens to stop in the 11 position, which would happen 1/4 of the time for each axis.
Oh well, more thinking required..
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SUGGESTIONS

Post by exxos »

mjw333 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:47 pm You're right a normal DB9 switcher boxes seem to exist.. one seems to be called "Mouse Master" (And as this is a keyboard fix, outside the scope of the project)
Automatic operation would also have to not disable your joystick in the middle of a game just because the mouse got ever so slightly bumped, then there's the case where the mouse happens to stop in the 11 position, which would happen 1/4 of the time for each axis.
Oh well, more thinking required..

Probably a digital selector box could be done, but would still need a switch. Auto switching would likely cause issues if you caught the mouse as you say.

I think there was such a digital box KVM ? Years ago, I remember PeST had problems running though it because the KVM slowed down the signals to much.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”