Sidequest: VGA scan doubler

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sidequest: VGA scan doubler

Post by Icky »

Nice. :thumbup:

That yellow is bright @Smonson. I had used it for the first Sparkalaphobia (Blitter) boards. Not sure if I would use it again. :)

Nice to see this project progressing but solderpasting at 5 degrees that’s the recommended storage temp of most pastes. No wonder you need it to be warmer.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Icky wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:11 am Nice to see this project progressing but solderpasting at 5 degrees that’s the recommended storage temp of most pastes. No wonder you need it to be warmer.
Yeah, even if I warmed it up it wouldn't stay warm for long enough!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Smonson wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 am Yeah, even if I warmed it up it wouldn't stay warm for long enough!
I was attempting to solder paste a few days ago with the voltera and it was 32 degrees here. I left the paste out a bit too long and it became very runny and was just pouring out the syringe without any pressure on it. I ended up putting it all away as it just made a mess.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@Smonson Any news on the new build :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

The only news is that I'm lazy :D

Or more to the point, I haven't got so much motivation anymore since the CPLD that I used for this project was (temporarily?) discontinued by the manufacturer and I can no longer buy any more of them. Mouser has even deleted the product line from their site. Up until fairly recently it was showing something like "expecting more later in 2022" but now it just redirects you back to the search page. So I have no idea if Intel is even going to make these parts again in the future :|
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

mouser-note.png
mouser-note.png (9.34 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Smonson wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:24 am The only news is that I'm lazy :D

Or more to the point, I haven't got so much motivation anymore since the CPLD that I used for this project was (temporarily?) discontinued by the manufacturer and I can no longer buy any more of them. Mouser has even deleted the product line from their site. Up until fairly recently it was showing something like "expecting more later in 2022" but now it just redirects you back to the search page. So I have no idea if Intel is even going to make these parts again in the future :|
I think a lot of us are in similar predicaments. I have seen the Max10's go through the same pattern on Mouser. I think its going to be years before this sorts itself out and also it is my belief a lot of these devices will disappear as part of this current climate. Probably doesn't bode well for 5V devices.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Smonson wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:24 am Or more to the point, I haven't got so much motivation anymore since the CPLD that I used for this project was (temporarily?) discontinued by the manufacturer and I can no longer buy any more of them. Mouser has even deleted the product line from their site. Up until fairly recently it was showing something like "expecting more later in 2022" but now it just redirects you back to the search page. So I have no idea if Intel is even going to make these parts again in the future :|
If I can obtain them would it get the project going again ? If not, would you consider officially handing the project over to @Icky and me?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
ijor

Post by ijor »

Hi Smonson,

Cool project. How are you doing?

Don't despair, it is very likely that these chips will be available next year, but almost certainly not before.
Smonson wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:20 pm It does require a connection to HSYNC, which means soldering to a via near the GLUE. So it's not totally plug-and-play unfortunately. Without HSYNC, it can't tell where to begin the scanlines.
You can infer HSYNC from DE and make this a solderless plug-in upgrade. It might be difficult in those few cases that alter SYNC. But these programs that alter SYNC will fail to display correctly in many, perhaps most, modern displays anyway.

You would still miss BLANK for a perfect display in very few demos. But I'm sure most people would prefer something plug-and-play than something perfect. And you can still have the best of both worlds. There is no reason to not make these connections optional. You can easily and automatically detect if the signals are connected. If they are connected you use them for a perfect display. If not, then you infer HSYNC and still works perfectly in 99.9% of the cases.

Edit: Seems to me we talked about this before?
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

exxos wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:38 am If I can obtain them would it get the project going again ? If not, would you consider officially handing the project over to @Icky and me?
I don't think we need to go that far, this was my side-project to give me something achievable to do while you guys did the hard stuff on the HDMI one! :lol:

There aren't any technical problems to solve anyhow, it's just a case of waiting for the parts.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”