Tri-mode LCD VGA monitor - 15Khz compatible!

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
dazcoull

Tri-mode LCD VGA monitor - 15Khz compatible!

Post by dazcoull »

I am gradually building up my STE, and latest part arrived today - the ST2VGA adapter. I then went through a few of my spare monitors kicking around, and amazingly, two of them support all three video modes!

First one is a Dell E170Sb - HI mode is off centre a bit and dithered desktop wallpaper is stripey. LO/MED is centred but also stripey. All modes could not be made better with phase or bitclock adjustments. Does have advantage of being 4:3 ratio so looks the part.

Second one is the surprise monitor: A new(ish) Lenovo budget widescreen FullHD 21.5" monitor. This model is Lenovo LI2215sD. Extremely basic (VGA only!) and was purchased because it was cheap - less than AU$100 from Officeworks. TBH, the quality of the picture for 1080P use on a PC was mediocre at best. Poor contrast and viewing angles, but it did work and uses very little power (18-30W) - so good for a server terminal screen, for example.

Although the specs officially say 30Khz and up for horizontal, it worked just fine in all modes and they were very acceptable (not perfect, but good) - examples below:

tempsnip2.png
tempsnip2.png (461.11 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (179.84 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
tempsnip3.png
tempsnip3.png (488.48 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
tempsnip4.png
tempsnip4.png (377.89 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

I have also got a VGA to HDMI converter coming so will advise on the results there.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”