Midi mayhem

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Midi mayhem

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have an interesting problem I'm trying to troubleshoot.

I have an Evoulution MK149 keyboard which I know to be faulty.

When I connect it and turn it on it causes Cubase 2 to freeze up, and similar problems with MT Pro. If I turn it off, the programs recover, turn it back on and the problems come back. My other keyboard, also an Evolution, this time a MK225c, works fine and I can record notes etc.

So the computer is ok, AFAIK, but the keyboard seems to be swamping the Midi in on the ST and causing it to hang.

So the question is, are there any Midi testers out there that allow you to see what a device is sending?

Also, with regards to the ST midi ports, I can test Midi using my diag cart (Just for peace of mind, I don't think it has a problem), so is there a loopback cable required, or is it a simple as plugging a Midi cable from out to in?

Any help gratefully received.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Midi mayhem

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, so although I'm asking what other folks might do, I have been doing my own digging. A little self help goes a long way.

I discovered a program called Midi-OX http://www.midiox.com/, which allows you to view midi data as it comes from a device.

Although it requires a Midi2USB device (Not a program for the ST sadly), I have one, so plugged it all in and set up with my known working keyboard.

It looks great, you can see all the data, such as note on/off, instrument changes, panning, mod wheel and pitch bend etc.

The MK149 however shows a blank screen. Occasionally it will see a genuine Midi command, say a note on, but mostly it causes Midi-OX to freeze up and sometimes crash, much like when connected to the ST and Cubase freezes.

So it seems that it's sending out unintelligible Midi streams most of the time, so next step is complete disassembly so I can break it down into functional units and work out just why the Midi info is crappy.

It has the ptential to be a nice KB sokeeping my fingers crossed.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Cosmic Puppet

Re: Midi mayhem

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Hi. My Roland Juno-Di was recently causing problems like this. Every music program on my ST would freeze on load up. I did a full FACTORY RESET of the keyboard and everything has been great since.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”