MegaST4 Stability running cubase

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
richard.faulkner

MegaST4 Stability running cubase

Post by richard.faulkner »

Hi all,

I aquired a Mega ST4 a month or so back. It was very unstable so I've used the exxos kit of parts to rebuild the PSU and shows the correct voltages. This has made a massive difference to it, in that it behaves a lot better.

I'm trying to run cubase 3.1, with a Unitor plugged into the cartridge port. I'm finding that it seems to work fine for a while, then it will start give 'internal error' popups. If i then restart cubase it will then complain of 'no key' for cubase.

So something is still amiss hardware wise. I do have some extra bits to fit, like the buffer and the booster, but i dont want to go anywhere near that until i've figured the instability issue.

So, seasoned atariists, where would you look to think about troubleshooting this? Is it possible it's ram related, or is this likely to be some form of power issue on the motherboard itself

Thanks in advance for any encouragement or support!

Rich
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MegaST4 Stability running cubase

Post by exxos »

Bad connections on cart port ?

I'm assuming Cubase uses cartridge port I don't know anything about it...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
richard.faulkner

Yes it uses the cart port for the Unitor and has the dongle cartridge in a pass through port.

I gave up using a midex because it seemed very sensitive on an FM. The unitor worked on the fm, but did do some of these same sort of things. The only constant between all of those 3 was the cubase dongle. I also tried an STe but the cartridge port on that seemed completely dead.

I'm almost at the giving up and going back to the pc stage, which would really be a shame as I feel so much more creative working on the ST.
richard.faulkner

I've just found a memtest program so going to give that a go next ?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

If it's taking it's time to fail, then it could be thermal, though I still wouldn't rule out bad cartridge port connections. You could have a bad solder joint or other component that fails when it warms up.

Is it possible to run the Mega 4 without the covers and a fan blowing over it, and the same for the Unitor?

Do it one at a time, so that it is obvious which one was the problem.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
richard.faulkner

Hi Mr Jonnie :)

I did wonder if it was thermal. The fact that the midex and unitor behave similarly (the midex worse - but it has more on it?) made my gut instinct say that it's going to be the ST in some way... but I suppose it's all 25-30 years old as a minimum. I'll give that a go.
richard.faulkner

Hey - sorry for the late update, but this was eventually down to a dicey cubase dongle. It may be redeemable with a conductive pen or something, but for now i'm happy with its ebay sourced replacement.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@richard.faulkner Great that you sorted it out in the end...would be good to hear if you do resurrect that dodgy dongle!

Is it for Cubase 2 or 3?
richard.faulkner

cubase 3.1/cubase score.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ah, yes - I'm not aware of any stable versions of Cubase that can be used without the original dongles for v3 & later.

I've got 2 or 3 of the red Cubase dongles (and also one for Falcon Audio IIRC) & from what I remember some of the dongles only work on certain machines while others work fine on any machine.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”