Falcon love

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
agranlund

Re: Falcon love

Post by agranlund »

Plagued wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:56 pm BEHOLD! Full recap, RTC replaced, clock patch applied, RAM upgraded to a whole 14MB
If you could all pretend to be jealous of my shiny new falcon that would make me feel better about the grief I've got from the Mrs ;)
falcon_recap.jpg
Well, I am a little bit jealous without having to pretend :)
JezC

Post by JezC »

Plagued wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:56 pm BEHOLD! Full recap, RTC replaced, clock patch applied, RAM upgraded to a whole 14MB
If you could all pretend to be jealous of my shiny new falcon that would make me feel better about the grief I've got from the Mrs ;)
:thumbup:
That makes me want to show some TLC to my Falcon...and maybe fit that Exxos PSU I bought for it (and then fit the CF card & adapter to replace the dead Conner internal drive)...
Plagued

Post by Plagued »

Steve wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am That looks very nice :) most importantly, does it still work? Hehe
Funny you should say that, I did have a minor panic when I tested it only to be greeted with a white screen. NVRAM I thought, but the floppy didn't seem to be accessing. The only thing missing was the matrix screeneye, so I popped that back in and it booted right up.
I can't remember having to change anything when fitting the screeneye some 25 years ago (but that doesn't mean much) and I've not done an NVRAM reset and tried with the board removed.
I'm more excited about the possibility of recovering some of the data off my old 240MB SCSI drive as it now boots and I can access it ... all for about 4 minutes before the drive dies and I have to let it rest for a minute.

I'll post a couple more pics up when I get a moment. All in all it was a fairly simple and relaxing job. I've got all the toys from previously working on Arcade boards so warming up ground planes and using a proper desoldering gun make a huge difference with old boards like this.
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's because if you remove the screeneye you need to place a jumper on a specific place on the expansion bus pins, it's marked on the motherboard I think.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”