Best TT keyboard upgrade? is it all its cracked up to be?

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
zack4mac

Best TT keyboard upgrade? is it all its cracked up to be?

Post by zack4mac »

I'm looking at this TT touch keyboard upgrade from Best and although Stuart seems ecstatic see bellow I still prefer to get my reviews from third parties does anyone have any experience with this keyboard upgrade or are there better alternatives?
Cheers

Quote from Stuart
""I have to say that over the years I thought I'd forgotten how to touch type. With the TT Upgrade, no spell check, no autocorrect (and a little bit of practice) I'll be back to 75WPM quite quickly! Much better than any keyboard I can buy today!"
XEGS, STF/FM/E CBM 64 VC20 PET , ZX81, ZX +3 Harlequin ZXuno
DoG

Re: Best TT keyboard upgrade? is it all its cracked up to be?

Post by DoG »

If you mean the rubber domes for a normal keyboard? Yes, I have. Depends on the price of course. It's better but not that good tbh.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Depends how much typing you do.. I mean, if you do a lot of typing/coding on your Atari, the *best* option these days is getting a NetUSBee as it has USB keyboard drivers, this allows you to use a professional mechanical keyboard. If you just want to improve the stock internal keyboard, then the TT touch is the *only* option around.
mikro

Post by mikro »

... or CosmosEx. Then you can remove the USB "emulation" layer as it's hooked directly on IKBD connector.
zack4mac

Post by zack4mac »

Yes this CosmoEx is looking like a bit of a bargain and with it being based on the raspberry pi half the circuit is easily replaced. I think its probably one of the best utilisations of the raspberry pi!
XEGS, STF/FM/E CBM 64 VC20 PET , ZX81, ZX +3 Harlequin ZXuno
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I have a netusbee, both versions of the lightning(VME and ST). I have heard great reviews of CosmosEx and have looked into purchasing one but the procedure to buy one and the delays scared me away. Some people have waited a long time to recieve there's.

The netusbee is also very useful when it works. I have tried it in my ST where it works, the Mega which it causes a hang on boot, both of my H4's where it work in one and hangs the boot on the other (hangs on the H4 with SMT MMU and GLUE), and works in my falcon.

The lightning cards have worked every where I have tried them. A usb stick written by the netusbee or the lightning is readable by the other. Considering everything the lightning its my perferred solution.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Won't re-hash the options for completely replacing a stock ST keyboard with an
entirely different keyboard, as the others have covered it well here, but in
answer to the original question, I feel that the TT Touch keyboard upgrade
much improves the original ST's feel and response.

Honestly, I'd probably rank it like this:

STacy
Mega ST
TT - Mega STe - TT Touch (3 way tie, it's that close IMHO)
ST (any stock model).

HTHs. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

I just got around to installing those "TT-touch" rubber domes from Best and it's night and day difference compared to the tired old ones that were in the 520STM.

Of course, it's nowhere near a nice mechanical keyboard but I still think it's a significant upgrade and to me it was well worth the money.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”