Blitter question TOS 1.62 - TOS 2.06

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
bj_kock

Blitter question TOS 1.62 - TOS 2.06

Post by bj_kock »

I have a 520 STE with switchable TOS (1.62 and 2.06) and I have seen that if I boot to a clean desktop (without Floppy or HD) the Blitter is enabled by default in TOS 1.62 but disabled by default in TOS 2.06.
I can´t seem to find any explanation to why it is disabled by default in TOS 2.06.

Is there a good reason to why you must enable the Blitter “manually” in 2.06 and then save the desktop so that it will be enabled at the next boot (and boots after that)?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but it´s been nagging me for a while now…… :?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blitter question TOS 1.62 - TOS 2.06

Post by exxos »

odd.. I always thought it was enabled by default as well odd..

As you say, enabling it and saving desktop is probably the only way to go.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Yes, that is odd. I guess you could find out what part of the ROM controls that and edit 2.06 to do the same.

Personally I have a HDD so I just save my desktop.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

When the Billter is faulty as an an example, you can not longer boot up the machine ...

... so the setting with TOS 2.06 is good.
bj_kock

Post by bj_kock »

frank.lukas wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:54 pm When the Billter is faulty as an an example, you can not longer boot up the machine ...

... so the setting with TOS 2.06 is good.
That seems to be one reasonable reason :thumbup:

I also usually start from HD and have the Blitter enabled in the Desktop.inf and the Newdesk.inf.
I found this odd 2.06 disabled Blitter behavior a while ago when I played around with GemBench and wanted to see if there were any difference in performance if I ran my STE with stock 1.62 or as a stock 2.06 machine.
When I started GemBench from a diskette under 2.06, it stated that the Blitter was disabled and I first thought that I had accidently turned it off when I changed from low to medium resolution in the dropdown menu on the desktop.
After some reboots I soon realized that the Blitter is off by default in 2.06 and thought that there was something wrong with my Swedish 2.06 version in my STE.

I started up Steem on my PC and tested the TOS 2.06 ROMs that I have there (UK, US and SE) and all behave the same way in Steem.
I started to Google around (of pure curiosity) to see if I could find a reason to why Blitter is off by default in 2.06 and on in 1.62, but found no answer at all.
So that´s why I turned to all of you here, to see if someone could still my curiosity 😊
tzok

Post by tzok »

bj_kock wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:50 pmI started to Google around (of pure curiosity) to see if I could find a reason to why Blitter is off by default in 2.06 and on in 1.62, but found no answer at all.
I guess the reason is TOS 1.62 is STe-only, so it is guaranteed that the machine will have a Blitter, while TOS2.06 is mainly for MegaST which may or may not have the Blitter installed.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

tzok wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:12 am I guess the reason is TOS 1.62 is STe-only, so it is guaranteed that the machine will have a Blitter, while TOS2.06 is mainly for MegaST which may or may not have the Blitter installed.
Actually, 2.06 was for the MegaSTE, which always had a Blitter too. However, I imagine that because the code base has much in common with 3.06 for the TT that it had to be more flexible and test for hardware during initialisation.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I half remember the same conversation recently maybe with @agranlund ? Its disabled as the blitter can cause issues with some hardware or software. Also when using a 030, the blitter option gets replaced with "cache" so you can't turn it on or off anyway, so it makes sense to have it disabled by default. You can turn it on and save newdesk.inf to load when you get to desktop anyway.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”