Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Progress on our FPGA cores.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by exxos »

Maybe someone can loan Smonson a st with the issue ?

If people can list all boards which do not work, I will see if I can find the same revision to try here.. Then I can loan Smonson that board.. I think that's the best solutions as Smonson can diagnose directly..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

exxos wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 pm Maybe someone can loan Smonson a st with the issue ?
Shipping to Australia is crazy expensive. Also I don't know if it is about Mb revision yet. My Rev.B 520 ST has it in anycase.
ijor

Post by ijor »

Smonson wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:33 pmIt's fine. The remake is known to run with a real shifter, plus the exact same behaviour is observed on Troed's machines. Any hypotheses applicable to Icky's machine can be confirmed by Troed when he's able to find time.

I'm not overflowing with other options, I'm very grateful to have Icky and the remake board on my side (as well as everyone else who is contributing their time to find the solution to this issue) - since I cannot reproduce it on my machine.
Of course that we should be grateful to Icky, and I apologize if I sounded like I wasn't. But beg to differ, I don't think this is the correct way to debug the issue.

But, oh, well. Let's wait until we can see some logic analyzer traces. We might find something that would be obvious.
troed wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:39 pmAlso I don't know if it is about Mb revision yet. My Rev.B 520 ST has it in anycase.
Do we know if the HDMI boards are ok? Somebody tested those non working boards on a different computer and then it run ok?
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
troed

Post by troed »

ijor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm
troed wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:39 pmAlso I don't know if it is about Mb revision yet. My Rev.B 520 ST has it in anycase.
Do we know if the HDMI boards are ok? Somebody tested those non working boards on a different computer and then it run ok?
No, that has not been tested. I'm the one first saw this issue, but on the 520 ST (C070243 REV.I - sorry, wrote .B above but that ST I haven't tried with) the resets happed only once a minute or so and since that computer wasn't my intended target I quickly switched over to my doubleST (the 16MHz bus accelerated STFM - C070859, with the SMT MMU/GLUE) where I of course run very different clocks. There the resets happen almost instantly and continuous - I seldom even get the boot sector loaded.

Of course, the initial hypothesis was that the problem was integrating it with doubleST - Smonson didn't have issues. After a lot of testing I went back and verified my memory that it actually happened on the 520 ST as well, and now we turned to maybe there being a problem with my specific prototype. However, when Icky got the exact same problem we sort of assumed it was more likely due to some difference in timing or otherwise between different STs.

However, if so then someone who has it working in one machine should be able to get it to fail in another, and vice versa. I haven't seen that happen. I do have another STF model and a bunch of Mega STs I could try with as well (unless I've already done so and don't remember, need to check my notes).

We do have checked the obvious possibility, but both my 520 ST and Smonson's machine are -38A.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

troed wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 pm

No, that has not been tested. I'm the one first saw this issue, but on the 520 ST (C070243 REV.I - sorry, wrote .B above but that ST I haven't tried with) the resets happed only once a minute or so and since that computer wasn't my intended target I quickly switched over to my doubleST (the 16MHz bus accelerated STFM - C070859, with the SMT MMU/GLUE) where I of course run very different clocks. There the resets happen almost instantly and continuous - I seldom even get the boot sector loaded.

Of course, the initial hypothesis was that the problem was integrating it with doubleST - Smonson didn't have issues. After a lot of testing I went back and verified my memory that it actually happened on the 520 ST as well, and now we turned to maybe there being a problem with my specific prototype. However, when Icky got the exact same problem we sort of assumed it was more likely due to some difference in timing or otherwise between different STs.

However, if so then someone who has it working in one machine should be able to get it to fail in another, and vice versa. I haven't seen that happen. I do have another STF model and a bunch of Mega STs I could try with as well (unless I've already done so and don't remember, need to check my notes).

We do have checked the obvious possibility, but both my 520 ST and Smonson's machine are -38A.
To confirm my 520STM (C070243 REV-E) is -38A too where I see the same issue.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

They all ran fine on my machine before I posted them out. That includes 2 boards in Troed's case when we initially suspected his board might have been the problem, but no difference.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:37 pm Would you like further help? I can try it on a Mega ST and an STFM if you wish?
I don't think I can afford it just at the moment, but thankyou for the offer 😊
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Smonson wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:26 pm
Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:37 pm Would you like further help? I can try it on a Mega ST and an STFM if you wish?
I don't think I can afford it just at the moment, but thankyou for the offer 😊
No problem,happy to help :-)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
ijor

Post by ijor »

I suggest we try to get some LA traces. At this point this seems to be the most reasonable next step for debugging the issue.

Icky, can you do that? If you can probe all the signals I listed before that would be grea. But even a more modest sample, as long as it includes the DIR signal, could be useful.
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

ijor wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 pm I suggest we try to get some LA traces. At this point this seems to be the most reasonable next step for debugging the issue.

Icky, can you do that? If you can probe all the signals I listed before that would be grea. But even a more modest sample, as long as it includes the DIR signal, could be useful.
Hoping to take a look at these signals tonight so far today is not an Atari day.

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”