Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Progress on our FPGA cores.
Smonson

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by Smonson »

Not much. Just the schmitt trigger for the 16MHz clock, the inline resistors on both sides of it, and the capacitor on the output. I got rid of the unneeded resistor pack footprints and moved the header for the ribbon cable.

The reason I filed the corner down is because, on my ST at least, there's an electrolytic capacitor in the way.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

So will these boards work with ST models that do NOT have a modulator
and/or the STacy?

If that question has already been answered in the previous 42 pages, I
apologize - I tried to hit the high points but didn't see any discussion
about it.

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Dunno what the STacy hardware is like, but they don't need a modulator - just a socketed shifter (to remove the shifter and plug in in its place).
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Smonson wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm Dunno what the STacy hardware is like, but they don't need a modulator - just a socketed shifter (to remove the shifter and plug in in its place).
Thanks! Not sure how different the STacy is - I know it has a "Shadow" chip in there...
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
And considering I've just seen it on Ickys machine earlier, definitely count me in.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Thanks for the enthusiasm 😀

Eventually I will make a new revision of the board that gets rid of the PCB sandwich, and puts everything important on a single 4-layer PCB. The reason why that's "eventually" is basically I've temporarily run low on funds, and these things cost relatively a lot to put together. The postage from Oz is also pretty wild.

But there's no guarantee that will solve the remaining problem (resetting) because I can't reproduce the issue here, and thus can't investigate the mechanism that causes the bus to not be driven from the FPGA side.

I could build and send out more boards, but I think it's likely some people's boards will just work, and some won't, without shedding any new light on the situation.

I'm always keeping an eye on ebay for STFMs. If I get a second one it may enable me to reproduce the issue.
vattari

Post by vattari »

You’ve got another beta tester here Smonson, if you need one (I’m in Oz as well if that helps and have a large collection I can test this with).
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

...Exxos talked me into it :lol: - so I'm already putting a couple more sets together. I think I have sufficient material on hand for three, assuming none of them fail testing. They're the same as the ones Exxos, Troed, and Icky have.

I can make these available for further beta testing on the understanding that there's no expectation that they will work with every machine. Plus I will have to charge 50 GBP / 75 AUD (lower because of lower postage) to cover costs.

I should have two done in a couple of days and the third one next weekend.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Smonson wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm ...Exxos talked me into it :lol: - so I'm already putting a couple more sets together. I think I have sufficient material on hand for three, assuming none of them fail testing. They're the same as the ones Exxos, Troed, and Icky have.
:lol: 8-) There's a couple of people on another group who want to know the price.. Just make sure you are not doing this at a loss..

Smonson wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm I can make these available for further beta testing on the understanding that there's no expectation that they will work with every machine.
"BETA TEST" ;) That is what I do with my stuff as well, if people want the latest stuff and accept there may be issues, then they themselves make the choice if to buy the item or not. I generally offer cheaper price for basically the beta test versions as well.. They get a good deal with the "risk" as well. Generally people here are really good anyway, just want to help support projects more than anything.

I have a stack of motherboards coming soon.. All various revisions etc. so I will test the HDMI board one you sent me on all of those.. Might take a while if the shifters are not in sockets though...Then if I come across any issues, I will try the other adapter board you sent me not long back.. I will investigate the 32,16MHz clocks as well to see if I can spot anything amiss.

Will try and do this next week, but knowing how things generally go here, each time I trying allocate some time to do something, I end up doing something else instead which has to take priority :roll: But it will get done!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”