Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Icky

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by Icky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am

Smonson wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 pm
I gather that I'd have to write some pretty advanced verilog to generate the audio packets. I haven't really looked into it all that much, better to get one thing working at a time.
Absolutely. The HDMI screen is a great feat and is going to be a great add-on board for us. Great work Smonson. :bravo:

There are some little boxes out there already that do DVI & Audio to HDMI but they aren't cheap or cheap cable to desktop speakers :D

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:48 am

:bravo:

So what exactly were the changes done to the new board ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 am

Not much. Just the schmitt trigger for the 16MHz clock, the inline resistors on both sides of it, and the capacitor on the output. I got rid of the unneeded resistor pack footprints and moved the header for the ribbon cable.

The reason I filed the corner down is because, on my ST at least, there's an electrolytic capacitor in the way.

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 pm

So will these boards work with ST models that do NOT have a modulator
and/or the STacy?

If that question has already been answered in the previous 42 pages, I
apologize - I tried to hit the high points but didn't see any discussion
about it.

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Dunno what the STacy hardware is like, but they don't need a modulator - just a socketed shifter (to remove the shifter and plug in in its place).

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:03 am

Smonson wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm
Dunno what the STacy hardware is like, but they don't need a modulator - just a socketed shifter (to remove the shifter and plug in in its place).
Thanks! Not sure how different the STacy is - I know it has a "Shadow" chip in there...
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 pm

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
And considering I've just seen it on Ickys machine earlier, definitely count me in.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks for the enthusiasm 😀

Eventually I will make a new revision of the board that gets rid of the PCB sandwich, and puts everything important on a single 4-layer PCB. The reason why that's "eventually" is basically I've temporarily run low on funds, and these things cost relatively a lot to put together. The postage from Oz is also pretty wild.

But there's no guarantee that will solve the remaining problem (resetting) because I can't reproduce the issue here, and thus can't investigate the mechanism that causes the bus to not be driven from the FPGA side.

I could build and send out more boards, but I think it's likely some people's boards will just work, and some won't, without shedding any new light on the situation.

I'm always keeping an eye on ebay for STFMs. If I get a second one it may enable me to reproduce the issue.

vattari

Post by vattari » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 am

You’ve got another beta tester here Smonson, if you need one (I’m in Oz as well if that helps and have a large collection I can test this with).