STE mods

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
HigashiJun

Re: STE mods

Post by HigashiJun »

Monday off today here in Japan... :D

Had some time to prepare my booster for connections:
Booster1.JPG
Booster1.JPG (464.95 KiB) Viewed 3449 times
Booster2.JPG
Booster2.JPG (365.52 KiB) Viewed 3449 times

I will have to shorten all those protruding pins and then think about how to mod jumper wire connectors to shorten them as well. In their original shape, they would be an issue with the RF shield once the booster installed.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Ok, pins on the booster are shortened and jumper wire connectors are modded to fit under the RF shield.

Here are some pictures:

First, a height comparison with a standard jumper wire connector:
Height.JPG
Height.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 3386 times

And what it looks on the HD FDD kit (whithout this mod, the Floppy Drive would not seat correctly as the jumper wires are in the way):
HDFDD.JPG
HDFDD.JPG (277.83 KiB) Viewed 3386 times

Just some more steps to get the booster functional...

That is all for today.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

After more than 2 weeks of hard work, a well deserved Christmas vacation has just begun.

Here are some new pictures of my today's job:
Wires.JPG
Wires.JPG (307.01 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Wires2.JPG
Wires2.JPG (381.13 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

It is better to have a colour code for the main wires as you can easily get confused...

The final step is coming soon. I just have to connect the booster and see if everything works as expected.

But now, the only thing I want to do is to enjoy a fresh beer waiting for me in the fridge. :D

Hope you have a nice Christmas holiday !

:merryxmas:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Jun,

I was just wondering about your interest in Atari and how it came about. I am not aware whether Atari was available to people in Japan back in the old days, they had so many of their own custom computers on the market. I'm just interested in your unique perspective.

Thx
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Hello Steve,

As a kid, I was once living in Europe when Atari decided to launch their ST series.

My parents previously bought me an Amstrad PCW8256 and they did not want to buy me the Atari 1040STE, on which I was drooling over...

As a consolation, I was buying Atari ST related magazines and hoping to get my own Atari one day.

Atari was somehow present in Japan, and you can sometimes find on Yahoo Auctions (the local Ebay) some US version STEs, mostly sold for a high price.

This is how I got my STE, 30 years later but with my child dream fulfilled...

Cheers.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Had some free time today and spent it working on the booster. Here are the results...

Standoffs are epoxied to the booster board:
Standoffs.JPG
Standoffs.JPG (377.69 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Srandoffs2.JPG
Srandoffs2.JPG (344.73 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

and wires connected:
Connections.JPG
Connections.JPG (409.9 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Connections2.JPG
Connections2.JPG (443.97 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

I was ready to test everything while I noticed my RAM modules are parity SIMMs. :x

No problem, I will desolder the parity chip of each module tomorrow, if time allows.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

So, I have de-soldered the parity chip on my SIMMs:

SIMM.JPG
SIMM.JPG (277.77 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

and fitted everything back.

As not expected, the booster does not work :x

Happily there was no smoke, but something must be wrong.

Checked everything again but no luck. I only get a white screen with vertical bars, which disappear after some seconds (there is nothing on the screen if switched to HI-RES mode).

The Ultrasatan gets power but the floppy does not work if connected.

The worst is that if I get back to the original config, I also get a white screen with no bars...

I swapped to the old CPU but nothing changes. Could it be the memory, not working without the parity chip ?

As I have no spare RAM, I will have to buy some on the net.

I will definitely have to investigate further when I have more time.

If you guys have some clues, they are welcome.

Cheers.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

How have you fitted the booster? It should have the CPU installed on the top of the booster board. I'd recommend you have a look here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/V1STE/index.htm
I think you may have got the wrong idea about how it's installed.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@rubber_jonnie he is trying to install it as ingo did on a machine which doest have a CPU socket.,
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 am @rubber_jonnie he is trying to install it as ingo did on a machine which doest have a CPU socket.,
Ahh, I see.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”