STE mods

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
HigashiJun

Re: STE mods

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you for your comments.

Yes,epoxy is the way to go... But it have to be heat resistant. The Chemtronics CW2500 is the best I know for this kind of work.

There is also another solution available here in Japan (and maybe elsewhere too) and it is called "dry film":

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... /item/120/

I will have to try it one day, but it is not so cheap if you add the shipping costs.

Good luck with your repair rubber_jonnie.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:37 am Thank you for your comments.

Yes,epoxy is the way to go... But it have to be heat resistant. The Chemtronics CW2500 is the best I know for this kind of work.

There is also another solution available here in Japan (and maybe elsewhere too) and it is called "dry film":

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... /item/120/

I will have to try it one day, but it is not so cheap if you add the shipping costs.

Good luck with your repair rubber_jonnie.
That dry film looks interesting, I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

With regards to the repair, thanks, though I am quite worried that the machine is dead :( Unfortunately, my Mac Classic knowledge is limited, and they are truly horrible to work on because of the integrated CRT.

It may have to wait until I've moved house, which will hopefully be in the next 12 weeks. Once there I hope to have a much better workshop with more space, then perhaps I will be able to work on it a bit easier.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 am
That dry film looks interesting, I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

With regards to the repair, thanks, though I am quite worried that the machine is dead :( Unfortunately, my Mac Classic knowledge is limited, and they are truly horrible to work on because of the integrated CRT.

It may have to wait until I've moved house, which will hopefully be in the next 12 weeks. Once there I hope to have a much better workshop with more space, then perhaps I will be able to work on it a bit easier.
I love these old Mac Classics, even if it is not easy to repair them.

I know there is a VGA conversion kit for Classics here in Japan. I think it is better to work with it while repairing your computer then having a dangerous CRT powered on...

In case, here is a link to the product:

http://www.nextro.com/nextro/english/i30.html

I would also love to have my own room where I could do all my stuff without bothering everybody in the house...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:10 am
I love these old Mac Classics, even if it is not easy to repair them.

I know there is a VGA conversion kit for Classics here in Japan. I think it is better to work with it while repairing your computer then having a dangerous CRT powered on...

In case, here is a link to the product:

http://www.nextro.com/nextro/english/i30.html

I would also love to have my own room where I could do all my stuff without bothering everybody in the house...
Thanks, I'll take a look at that, might be useful as I have a ton of VGA screens.

Luckily I do have my workshop in another room, but it is in the loft space of the house, and very cramped. I'll have my own combined office (I work from home) & workshop in the new place, so very excited for that!!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 am
Thanks, I'll take a look at that, might be useful as I have a ton of VGA screens.

Luckily I do have my workshop in another room, but it is in the loft space of the house, and very cramped. I'll have my own combined office (I work from home) & workshop in the new place, so very excited for that!!
The VGA is already included in the kit.

I do not know if the company still have some, but I found two kits on Amazon.jp for quite an excessive price...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:34 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 am

The VGA is already included in the kit.

I do not know if the company still have some, but I found two kits on Amazon.jp for quite an excessive price...
I think you've just opened a can of worms for me!!
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:51 am
I think you've just opened a can of worms for me!!
:oops:
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

HigashiJun wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:39 am
Should not CLK8 be the lower spot and CPU_CLK the upper one ?

Just answering to myself: no, I checked again and the spots IngoQ found are OK.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Finally got my 3M PLCC sockets last week and managed to find some free time today to solder one on my STE.

Newsocket.jpeg
Newsocket.jpeg (448.83 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

I will have to thoroughly clean that solder paste residue remaining on the PCB and around the pins before fittimng back the CPU, but I can say: "Repair done. Mission complete !".

As soon as I have more free time, tests will resume. ;)
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Ok, so I cleaned everything today and installed the CPU back in its new socket.

Then I connected the booster and took more care to isolate the CPU clock pin, but the result is the same as the previous time... :)

I will have to test more and check if the RAM is not damaged after I removed parity chips.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”