ST KB in Mega ST case

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST KB in Mega ST case

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:45 pm Ah, I see. I seem to recall all this when I towered my Falcon. I have an ST keyboard in a free keys case hooked to that. I have also used the MegaSTE KB with that, but, the mylar on all four of my MegaSTE/TT keyboards has gone to crap so I need to repair them. The reset line I have hooked to the PC tower case reset switch. I'd forgotten about that. Its handy having the turbo switch for the CT2 as well.

I'll see what I can rig tomorrow. Maybe a cable for the Falcon. I found your last discussion on KB's. I will have a crack at setting up my spare freekeys for the MegaST too. It might be of some help to you. From what I can see, the ST keyboard should be a drop in replacement.
Be interested to hear how you get on.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
atari030

Post by atari030 »

I pulled the PCB out of the freekeys and checked it out. There is a diode, cap and resistor. The resistor is 32k, cap is 2u2 63v.

So it looks like resistor 32k to 5v from TX, cap TX data to ground. Diode is across TX to 5v. Reset is grounded.
atari030

Post by atari030 »

I found this too, it looks like my idea will work.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/18317 ... h-mega-st/
atari030

Post by atari030 »

A while ago I made up a new cable for the MegaST keyboard and duly forgot about it. Tonight I remembered so I grabbed an ST ( no bloody F, no bloody FM and no bloody E as Scotty would say) keyboard and hooked it straight up to the MegaST KB PCB. It works, you can replace a Mega keyboard directly with a ST/M keyboard. All you need is a 20-30 cm 16 pin male to female ribbon cable.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”