MNT VA2000 graphics card in a Mega ST

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rpineau

Re: MNT VA2000 graphics card in a Mega ST

Post by rpineau »

Hi Keli.
Very interesting stuff.
As you might know (or not), me and Juliusz have a 68020 board for STE/MSTE with an expansion bus.
I was planing on making a video card for it but looking at what you're doing may be we wont and instead support you :)
Of course our bus is 32 bits but totally supports 16 bit wide access. We can make the adapter from the VA2000 to our bus (looks fairly straightforward :) ).
In any case, great project and thanks for working on this.

Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
keli

Re: MNT VA2000 graphics card in a Mega ST

Post by keli »

rpineau wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:02 pm Hi Kell.
Very interesting stuff.
As you might know (or not), me and Juliusz have a 68020 board for STE/MSTE with an expansion bus.
I was planing on making a video card for it but looking at what you're doing may be we wont and instead support you :)
Of course our bus is 32 bits but totally supports 16 bit wide access. We can make the adapter from the VA2000 to our bus (looks fairly straightforward :) ).
In any case, great project and thanks for working on this.
Sounds interesting. I would recommend using something like the MiniSpartan 6 instead, and add the level converters on the adapter board instead of using the VA2000 due to some issues I've mentioned earlier. That would give more flexibility (and an extra HDMI port)

edit and adding support for a different bus could be added by swapping out the bus interface module on the HDL side... As long as there are free io ports.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”