STFM 4meg RAM Expansion £35

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
pjdouglas

STFM 4meg RAM Expansion £35

Post by pjdouglas »

Hello All,

Recently bought an STFM in immaculate condition! 512k.

I had one of these machines back in the day and upgraded the memory with the Marpet upgrade.

I looking at the 4 meg upgrade and have read throught the install instructions.

Since my machine is 512k I will need the 1 meg address lines resistors.
I'm assuming gthat these are not supplied with the kit ?

Can these be ordered seperatly from this site if not supplied ?

Thanks Paul
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM 4meg RAM Expansion £35

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Have you confirmed that you have a compatible motherboard first? If you don't have a C070789 then you need to look elsewhere.

You will need the resistors as described, but you will also need to remove the existing 512KB of RAM before installing the expansion.

The resistors are 68R or 33R, have a look here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/ram/index.htm for a guide on fitting them. You can identify the resistors that are already installed next to them in order to determine the value you need.

Personally I prefer this expansion: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0035 as it will work with all STs including Megas, though I do understand it is a more costly option.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
pjdouglas

Post by pjdouglas »

Thanks for your reply......

Yes, I've checked my board and it is compatible with this upgrade.

I initially looked at the £60 option but my video shifter chip is soldered rather then socketed so soldering involved in both solutions.

Having looked at both, although more work involved with the cheaper option I thought it was a 'cleaner' option as you dont have ribbon cables etc runing inside the case and the redundant chips are removed.

With that said the £60 option can be removed to take the ST back to originality; but why would you ?

Torn really.......

Swings and roundabouts!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

The other thing to consider is that the more expensive kit can easily be moved to another machine if necessary.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
pjdouglas

Post by pjdouglas »

Yes, thats a fair point.

Need to have a re-think.......

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”