PLD SDRAM controller ?

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLD SDRAM controller ?

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 pm Edit: just thought, the controller would fit in the XC9572XL too -- that has only 72 IOs on the 100 pin version, but still more than enough. £4 chip instead!
Sounds like a plan. I was going with the SDRAM I found as JLC stock it (and can solder it) plus the buffers, not sure they sell the PLD, but at least it would just be 1 chip to solder.

More IO's may or may not be an advantage for PCB routing.. but I guess I could try with the smaller one first and see how it goes.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Looking at it seems like it can be made to fit. Definitely a 4 layer board though.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 pm
Badwolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 pm Edit: just thought, the controller would fit in the XC9572XL too -- that has only 72 IOs on the 100 pin version, but still more than enough. £4 chip instead!
Sounds like a plan. I was going with the SDRAM I found as JLC stock it (and can solder it) plus the buffers, not sure they sell the PLD, but at least it would just be 1 chip to solder.

More IO's may or may not be an advantage for PCB routing.. but I guess I could try with the smaller one first and see how it goes.
I'd be tempted to do the dev on the 100-pin XC95144XL then, when it's working, try to build it for the XC9572XL -- if it fits, use that for production.

They're the same footprint, same control and power pins, you just need to make sure you don't use an IO that doesn't exist on the 72. I'm basically doing that for my board. I'm using a 288, but it should fit in a 144 when I'm done.

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Badwolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:36 pm I'd be tempted to do the dev on the 100-pin XC95144XL then, when it's working, try to build it for the XC9572XL -- if it fits, use that for production.

They're the same footprint, same control and power pins, you just need to make sure you don't use an IO that doesn't exist on the 72. I'm basically doing that for my board. I'm using a 288, but it should fit in a 144 when I'm done.

BW.
Careful with this. There are NC IO pins on the 72 vs 144! This bit me on the TF534. I thought all IO was available but when i used a 72 it gave me a cannot place an IO at pin X.Y.Z...
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 pm Careful with this. There are NC IO pins on the 72 vs 144! This bit me on the TF534. I thought all IO was available but when i used a 72 it have me a cannot place an IO at pin X.Y.Z...
I ran into that trap once as well.. Created the schematic with the more IO version then downgraded to a smaller one :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:36 pm I'd be tempted to do the dev on the 100-pin XC95144XL then, when it's working, try to build it for the XC9572XL -- if it fits, use that for production.
Yeah, might as well go with the more IO count version if its the same foot print anyway.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 pm Careful with this. There are NC IO pins on the 72 vs 144! This bit me on the TF534. I thought all IO was available but when i used a 72 it have me a cannot place an IO at pin X.Y.Z...
Yep, 9 fewer, I believe. That's what I was getting at!

BW
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

I think my simplified SDRAM controller is pretty solid now. My remaining problems with higher speed seem to be hardware related (too any reflections causing oscillations on the data lines -- need to experiment with some termination on the data lines).

I've tried building it for the XC9572XL. It fits and requires 65 pins for 32 bit mode with two SDRAM chips, but can be reduced to 61 pins for single chip. It shouldn't be hard to adapt to 68k by subbing the SIZE lines for UDS/LDS either.

Code: Select all

cpldfit:  version P.20131013                        Xilinx Inc.
                                  Fitter Report
Design Name: DFB_SDRAM                           Date:  1-22-2021, 10:52AM
Device Used: XC9572XL-10-TQ100
Fitting Status: Successful

*************************  Mapped Resource Summary  **************************

Macrocells     Product Terms    Function Block   Registers      Pins           
Used/Tot       Used/Tot         Inps Used/Tot    Used/Tot       Used/Tot       
48 /72  ( 67%) 174 /360  ( 48%) 143/216 ( 66%)   46 /72  ( 64%) 63 /72  ( 87%)

** Function Block Resources **

Function    Mcells      FB Inps     Pterms      IO          
Block       Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    
FB1           9/18       37/54       52/90      14/18
FB2           8/18       29/54       30/90      16/18
FB3          18/18*      38/54       57/90      15/18
FB4          13/18       39/54       35/90      18/18*
             -----       -----       -----      -----    
             48/72      143/216     174/360     63/72 

* - Resource is exhausted

** Global Control Resources **

Code to date is attached, if it's any use to you @exxos.

BW.
Attachments
dfb_sdram.v.txt
(5.7 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Thanks @Bama very kind of you ! Hopefully I can make a start on a PCB for it. BTW would just DRAM work ?
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:24 am Thanks @Bama very kind of you ! Hopefully I can make a start on a PCB for it. BTW would just DRAM work ?
Never done any work with straight-up DRAM, so couldn't really say but AFAIK the whole command concept is an SDRAM thing, so I doubt it.

Presumably the initialisation and the refresh sequences would be different at the very least. I'd have thought a CPLD would be overkill for DRAM, TBH.

Good luck. I'm guessing this is an Alt-RAM plug in for the STF? :)

BW.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”