MegaSTE flashing keyboard light only

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Bikerbob

MegaSTE flashing keyboard light only

Post by Bikerbob »

Need suggestions.

I have a megaSTE that was working fine, now on power all I get is a flashing keyboard light. NOTHING ELSE.

Changed psu to known good one.. same thing.

Hope you can help.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MegaSTE flashing keyboard light only

Post by exxos »

If the PSU is known good, (sounds like power is tripping out) you could measure on resistance the 5V to 0V on the MB and see what you get.. if its just a few ohms then something is shorting the PSU out..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Do you have an internal SCSI HDD? Possibly disconnect in case the disk is stuck and it's pulling the PSU down. Same goes for any device powered from the MSTE.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

All devices were disconnected.

SO I assume it must be a bad cap. Question is.. which.. I guess I am into the schematic and try and trace the power circuit

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

I have seen the schematic for the PSU, and the board.

Should I just start following the schematic from the power input and start measuring resistance on the caps?
power.png
power.png (126.04 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
I know what I am looking at, but I am not sure the path to follow.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

SO, the way I am reading this 227 and 228 are the key to the +5v line.

So is it Powergood that I am not getting right here? and thats why the PSU is not starting up? I get its a protection, but not sure what I am supposed to be checking here. I notice the reset is not in this part of the circuit, and I assume that could still be one of the issues.

James
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Disconnecet the PSU and measure between +5V (red) and GND (black) on the Board PSU connector. It should be 60 Ohm or something.

Connect the PSU and maesure between +5V (red) and GND (black). It should be 5V or something. Power Good should be have 5V too.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

frank.lukas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:02 pm Disconnecet the PSU and measure between +5V (red) and GND (black) on the Board PSU connector. It should be 60 Ohm or something.

Connect the PSU and maesure between +5V (red) and GND (black). It should be 5V or something. Power Good should be have 5V too.
So Ohm between 5v and ground at the psu connector is 120ohm when started voltage jumps but within the first second returns to 0 and then a cycle of power on and off continues.

Same with Power GOOD.

James
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Check the PSU first. Connect a SCSI or IDE HDD to the PowerSupply and check the +5V (Red) lines ...

Measure the PowerGood Line too ...
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

sorry frank are you saying to check the psu independent of the MB.. putting a drive or whatever on it for a load?

If thats what you ment then yes works fine, powers up the SCSI drive and the 5v lines and PG are showing 5.21v steady.

James

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”