Magic Dupont wire (clock line termination question)

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Badwolf

Magic Dupont wire (clock line termination question)

Post by Badwolf »

Need a bit of advice from the grey-beards regarding clock lines, please.

My Falcon board has four clock lines, one low-speed (16MHz) in from the Falcon, one from the oscillator into the CPLD and two leaving the CPLD (one to AltRAM and one to the CPU).

I have no termination on the slow line nor the oscillator to to CPLD and CPLD to AltRAM lines (those are quite short and direct), but my CPU line is fairly tortuously routed.

To that end I've currently got a 330 Ohm resistor to ground at its end. This seems sufficient when running the CPU at speeds of up to 50MHz, but when I bring in the AltRAM (SDRAM running at the same frequency as the CPU but driven by its own pin), it'll work fine at 48MHz, but fails at 50.

If, however, I attach my (cheap and nasty) logic analyser to the CPU clock line, it'll run!

I've tried substituting the analyser with a decade resistance pack without luck, so it doesn't look like a lower end termination resistance is going to be helpful, but if I leave a 12cm bit of Dupont wire hanging off the pin it works again!

5cm of Dupont wire isn't enough. 12cm standing vertically doesn't work, but lay that 12cm length down back across the board and it'll happily run Doom and MiNT (my usual tests).

Can anyone with a bit more experience (or any kind of qualification in!) hardware tell me what's going on here and give me any rule-of-thumb tips as to what termination/anything else I should be doing to these clock lines, please?

My initial thoughts turned to the tiny bit of capacitance the wire/logic analyser could give, but adding capacitance to a clock line worries me -- should it? What else? Inductance? Should I redo the termination to a Thevenin style? Any rules of thumb for values? I think I'll build-in in-line termination pads into the next version, but I wonder how far I can get with this, now.

My target is proper stability at 50. Working at 48 and failing at 50 using parallel termination is a little too close to the bone for me.

Thanks,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magic Dupont wire (clock line termination question)

Post by exxos »

You need to check on a scope.. At 50mhz speeds, a series resistor 33-68 is normal.. Its just easier to scope and experiment. Termination resistors can clamp voltages to much, pushing more current through it just adds to the issue.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm You need to check on a scope.. At 50mhz speeds, a series resistor 33-68 is normal.. Its just easier to scope and experiment. Termination resistors can clamp voltages to much, pushing more current through it just adds to the issue.
Rats. Thought as much. I've no scope worthy of the name, alas (mine is from the 70s. It tops out at 10MHz and I think you put coal in the back). I'll try a bit of creative wiring to get some resistors in line.

Sensible to provide for series termination on all lines or just the three high speed ones, you think? The 16MHz line is driven by your clock buffer patch so I presume it's already terminated at source?

Thanks,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

My clock buffer has 33R I think. Mostly its clocks which need it.. Good gnd layer helps get rid of ringing better... The bus has only like 10k pull ups , so don't tend to get issues there. Though in terms of my findings on STs, they need 2.2k pull ups to work. There is only so much bus loading you can do on 10k...

You may run into other issues as well, you may need more bus transition logic at higher speeds..it can all get pretty complicated... Like try lowing the pull up value on dtack...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”