External keyboard project.

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
stephen_usher

Re: External keyboard project.

Post by stephen_usher »

Badwolf wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm OK so the proof of concept works fine. I just need to make a joystick extension cable so I can put those on the back of the keyboard too so you don't have any cables underneath and also make a back plate for the keyboard case with cut-outs for the sockets.
Looks very smart from the front!

BW
Hopefully it'll look smart all over in the end! :)

After I've finished the keyboard I need to work on the main case, creating a cover which fits over the front and sides, making the top flat and leavel, but leaving the grills at the rear. I'll strengthen the underneath so I can sit a monitor on top. I'm in two minds whether to go the extra mile and relocate the floppy onto the front.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

By the way, if anyone wants to make their own IKBD-RJ45 boards the gerbers are attached.

The RJ45 sockets are Amphenol 87180-088LF (RS stock code 182-2972)
Attachments
Gerber.zip
(19.26 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:39 pm After I've finished the keyboard I need to work on the main case, creating a cover which fits over the front and sides, making the top flat and leavel, but leaving the grills at the rear. I'll strengthen the underneath so I can sit a monitor on top. I'm in two minds whether to go the extra mile and relocate the floppy onto the front.
Gotek in the front, leave the floppy in the side?

Actually, I don't know if the ST supports a double-drop floppy cable or whether you'd need to tap the B drive signals from the rear port connector, but obviously the Gotek would be smaller, lighter and hopefully easier to position.

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I do have a Goex drive. The biggest issue is having to hack the original case more and potentially make it weaker, as the keyboard surround and a lot of the area where the label and floppy light are will need to be removed too.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The back of the keyboard is now on and the RJ45 board fitted fully.

The back needs trimming around the edge, filling/sanding and then, once the weather gets better, the whole thing needs spray painting.
IMG_2198.jpg
IMG_2198.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Not much advancement today other than properly screwing down the RJ45 board and getting a thinner and more flexible ethernet cable.

I've just been enjoying using a detached keyboard on the machine. It's far more ergonomic.

IMG_2199.jpg
IMG_2199.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 2654 times

The joystick port board should get shipped from China overnight and arrive mid-week. I now have a Dupont connector kit and tool to make up leads and after the spade terminals arrive tomorrow I can wire up the "Turbo" switch to my relocator board in the ST and switch between 68000 + TOS 1.04 and 68030 + EmuTOS at the press of a button (OK, two buttons, as I'll have to reset). I've found a rather nice double pole, single throw switch for this, which I'll mount on the front of the new part of the case when I've built that.

IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2200.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 2654 times

In the end the processor box will have just about the same footprint as the TT but about 2cm lower.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

This morning's job was grinding off the remains of the rear section of the case, bringing it level with the base of the trough behind the label.

I then gave it a quick spray paint, mostly to see where the problems I need to address are which would otherwise be disguised by the colour differences. However, it does start to give an idea of how it will look in the end. I'll do a full respray later after all the work on it has been done.

IMG_2201.jpg
IMG_2201.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

The PCBs for the joystick ports are due to arrive on Tuesday.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, the joystick PCBs have been delivered... next door and they're not in.

I wouldn't have actually known this as the courier didn't put a card through the door and when I left to go to the opticians, half an hour before it said that it was delivered, DHL still didn't say that the parcel was out for delivery. It was only when I checked the tracking this evening that I discovered all this.

Bah! Couriers!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, I retrieved the boards from next door this morning before work.

Two steps forward and one (and a half?) back.

I soldered them up, made the cables to connect between the keyboard joystick ports and the new board, drilled holes in the case, fitted everything.

Not working... And I'd used the wrong lines on the case bottom to align the board... but it should be just OK.

IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg (261.4 KiB) Viewed 2512 times

Well, it turns out that IDC DB9 connectors have a screwy pin-out. Instead of the wires being pins 1, 2, 3 etc. they're 1, 6, 2, 7 etc. Bother!

So, I'm going to have to try to interleave every wire or somehow have some vero board to do a conversion (messy).
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's respray day for the case. The rear isn't perfect but it'll do.

IMG_2212.jpg
IMG_2212.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
IMG_2213.jpg
IMG_2213.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

I've also got some goodies from RS, I'm going to solder the DB19 sockets on the cable this time. In that way I can guarantee the correct wiring. I've also got longer header pins so that the keyboard connector will sit more firmly on the adapter.

IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2214.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”