External keyboard project.

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
stephen_usher

Re: External keyboard project.

Post by stephen_usher »

After making up a couple of joystick internal cables, swapping the header and allowing the paint to dry enough the keyboard is back together.

I'll have to cut away a little more of the rear for the joystick port but otherwise the project is complete.

What do people think? Does it look OK?

IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
DoG

Post by DoG »

It looks great and it's well done... but something is off for me. Maybe the angle or the thickness in the back? Or that I'm not use to anything looking like that. Or maybe that something is missing? It is to close looking to the existing Atari stuff. Maybe I'm comparing it to Mega ST keyboard. I really don't know.

But really well executed and it looks great. I hope you don't take this as critique. I really like the look. :D
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, without replacing the whole of the lower case it's impossible to reduce the height. It's merely a consequence of basing it on a chopped down version of the case. As it is, there's not a huge amount of space beneath the rear of the keyboard unit and the circuit boards bringing the connections to the rear.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”